• To switch or not to switch... that's the question

Hello,

I started using GNU/Linux with Ubuntu 7.04 (with Gnome2). Then I switch to Fedora15 (with Gnome3).
    I enjoy using Fedora but I would like to try a rolling release distro (just to not reinstall all my apps every 6 months)…
    I searched a rolling release distro, with Gnome-shell, easy to install (I’m afraid of Arch’s installation

Antergos installation seems easy but what’s about upgrading the system ? I am not a linux newbie but not an expert too… will it be possible for me ?

What’s about Antergos’s stability ? I will use it on my personal laptop and as it’s the only one computer that I have, I can not accept crash

• Hello,

I started using GNU/Linux with Ubuntu 7.04 (with Gnome2). Then I switch to Fedora15 (with Gnome3).
    I enjoy using Fedora but I would like to try a rolling release distro (just to not reinstall all my apps every 6 months)…
    I searched a rolling release distro, with Gnome-shell, easy to install (I’m afraid of Arch’s installation

Antergos installation seems easy but what’s about upgrading the system ? I am not a linux newbie but not an expert too… will it be possible for me ?

What’s about Antergos’s stability ? I will use it on my personal laptop and as it’s the only one computer that I have, I can not accept crash

• As a satisfied Antergos user, to me, the answer to your question is “TO SWITCH”. Antergos is actually a pre-configured Arch Linux. It saves you all the time (and risk since you mentioned it) to install and run it out of the box. I uses Arch es repositories (though keeping a repository of its own).
    Upgrades are done as you would do if you were using a “pure” Arch installation. When Arch is upgraded/updated, Antergos is also upgraded/updated. You also get the PACMANXG tool if you don t like using the command line so much for that
    Installation IS easy as you already said. It reminded me of…Ubuntu. With an option to choose some apps to install through the installer along with your favourite DE. Have you tried live to see?
    The community is friendly and not as hard-core and lost in technical language as Arch is. Its devs are here to take care of problems and answer questions.
    As for your last “stability” question. If you consider Arch stable, then Antergos is stable, too. Personally I had never had any stability problems so far (using the default Gnome 3 DE).

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• updating is easy you can do it via the terminal sudo pacman -Syu or use pacmanxg for a gui update.

if you are looking for a rolling release it dont get much more rolling than this

as far as being stable ive heard arch can sometimes break the system but ive been on for a few months now and no problems to report. debian is also a good option for rolling.

• Personally I never experienced a system crash under Linux, and I used several distros over the last years, some of the rolling (Antergos Mate, Linux Mint Debian Mate, SolydX) and some of them not (Ubuntu, Mageia KDE). Therefore I trust in Linux pretty much. But of course you never know. If you have only one computer, then it is clever to have Live USB at hand - just in case. It is also advisable to backup data regularly.

Upgrading the system is no big deal with PacmanXG, it sometimes requires some patience, that’s all. Antergos is my first Arch-Based OS and so far I did not need any specific Arch commands.

Posts 5Views 2289