• Kernel 4.18: Boot only possible with GRUB Fallback

Very interesting: common hook autodedect
    Copied from Arch Wiki common hooks.

Shrinks your initramfs to a smaller size by creating a whitelist of modules from a scan of sysfs. Be sure to verify included modules are correct and none are missing. This hook must be run before other subsystem hooks in order to take advantage of auto-detection. Any hooks placed before ‘autodetect’ will be installed in full.

• @sinci said

Sure, it’s easier to use lts-kernel, but so I can learn about the system.

You definitely got a point, there, for sure. 👍

• @zoli62
    install lightdm-slick-greeter and lightdm-settings, then type in the terminal the following command

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Then scroll down to the line

greeter session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter

And change it into

greeter session=lightdm-slick-greeter

reboot and your system wil start up with the the slick greeter. After reboot you will find a gui app to change the lightdm appearances, so in there you can change the background (into a colour or photo) and you can change the style and fonts.

• @bryanpwo Thanks. I will try it. How did you find that this is the right solution?

• I don’t know if it is the right solution for everyone, but on one machine (KDE with SDDM) the problem didn’t appear at all. On my other machine (XFCE with lightdm- webkit2-greeter) the problem appeared, so I tried to experiment with the different DM’s and that’s how I came to slick-greeter. I didn’t want to install SDDM on my XFCE set up, becauste that one brings plasma/KDE dependencies with it and those in combination with XFCE can cause problems, in case you’re wondering.

• @bryanpwo said in Kernel 4.18: Boot only possible with GRUB Fallback:

I don’t know if it is the right solution for everyone, but on one machine (KDE with SDDM) the problem didn’t appear at all. On my other machine (XFCE with lightdm- webkit2-greeter) the problem appeared, so I tried to experiment with the different DM’s and that’s how I came to slick-greeter. I didn’t want to install SDDM on my XFCE set up, becauste that one brings plasma/KDE dependencies with it and those in combination with XFCE can cause problems, in case you’re wondering.

Anyway, during boot after a while this screen message comes: INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:. Have you experienced something like this?

• @zoli62
    This problem is similar to my. Booting stops already before display manager loading starts. Also no logger are running at this time.

• Do you see this?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134249

editing /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf with:

# disable autoload of ipv6
    alias net-pf-10 off

was the solution there…

also provided here:

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10526/antergos-can-start-with-lts-kernel-only/11

• @joekamprad These two topics has very similar content. Should not be merged?

kernel148 Posts 29Views 2365
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.