• Backup a freshly installed system

Hello community,

I have recently installed Antergos and my main concern now is how can I perform a backup of it?
    This being a rolling release, I don’t see much sense in making a backup of the / partition, is there? I mean, how long before such a backup becomes “stale” and it is hard to upgrade?

Other than making a full partition backup, I’d like to create & maintain a system to document every package installation requested manually. A naive way to achieve this is to extract it from the bash history of all commands including pacman inside them. A better way, I think, would be to create an alias for pacman that audits everything to a logfile. How could this work for GUI based package managers (especially Octopi)?

A penny for your thoughts…

• @bogdanbiv
    Probably you’d want to backup your data, and most often that exists in your $HOME folder. So you could e.g. simply copy $HOME to some external disk. Reinstalling Antergos is not hard, so I wouldn’t backup it.

Pacman has a log file in /var/log/pacman.log. There is all info about installed packages, including pamac and probably octopi as well.

• @bogdanbiv i do save two lists of all installed packages like this:

pacman -Qnq > ~/packages-repository.txt && pacman -Qmq > ~/packages-AUR.txt

so i have two lists with all installed packages, i can use to reinstall system.

For configs you will need to backup home folder as there are mostly under ~./config and ~/

• That seems not to be what I need, I should try to explain better with an example then:
    octopi was not installed by default on my system and thus it has an
    Install Reason: Explicitly installed
    alpm_octopi_utils also was not installed by default
    Install Reason: Installed as a dependency for another package

In this way, on the next install, if dependency alpm_octopi_utils no longer exists and octopi recommends (requires) another dependency it will pick that by default

UPDATE:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#How_do_I_reinstall_all_packages.2C_retaining_information_on_whether_something_was_explicitly_installed_or_as_a_dependency.3F

How do I reinstall all packages, retaining information on whether something was explicitly installed or as a dependency?
    To reinstall all the native packages: pacman -Qnq | pacman -S - (the -S option preserves the installation reason by default).
    You will then need to reinstall all the foreign packages, which can be listed with pacman -Qmq.

Which shows that your answer is exactly what I needed :-)

system141 backup14 freshly2 Posts 5Views 278
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.