• Virtualbox woes

Hey I am having issues with virtualbox, I cannot get it running and always get this message no matter what I do:

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘pacman -S virtualbox-host-modules’

as root. If you don’t use our stock kernel, install virtualbox-host-dkms and execute dkms autoinstall .

The thing is that virtualbox-host-modules is already installed so I dont know what this is complaining about.
    I got myself in the vbox users group, I restarted and everything under the sun (including trying the pacman -S virtualbox-host-modules command but that does nothing)

• Hey I am having issues with virtualbox, I cannot get it running and always get this message no matter what I do:

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘pacman -S virtualbox-host-modules’

as root. If you don’t use our stock kernel, install virtualbox-host-dkms and execute dkms autoinstall .

The thing is that virtualbox-host-modules is already installed so I dont know what this is complaining about.
    I got myself in the vbox users group, I restarted and everything under the sun (including trying the pacman -S virtualbox-host-modules command but that does nothing)

• Hi,

Create this file: /etc/modules-load.d/vbox.conf and put this in it:

vboxdrv  
    vboxnetadp  
    vboxnetflt  
    vboxpci

Reboot and it should work

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:2qknqbpq said:

Hi,

Create this file: /etc/modules-load.d/vbox.conf and put this in it:

vboxdrv  
    > vboxnetadp  
    > vboxnetflt  
    > vboxpci

Reboot and it should work

Cheers![/quote:2qknqbpq]

We heres a question, why isnt this file in there in the first place?
    Why can I install virtualbox normally and have it work as its supposed to in say Ubuntu or for an arch example Manjaro?
    This is befuddling, is this an arch thing to have broken package installs that lack features?
    If I wanted that I would use gnome shell

• All of the information on running Virtualbox (including what I provided above) is available on the Arch Wiki’s Virtualbox page. With Arch you will be expected to set things up yourself. Arch does not make configuration decisions on your behalf when packaging things like Virtualbox. Some users may not want to load the kernel modules at every boot. The expectation that this file should be created for you goes against everything Arch is about so perhaps it’s not the right distro for you, sorry!

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Seems a bit oxymoronic though, if I am installing virtualbox shouldn’t everything it needs be installed?
    If I am asking to have virtualbox installed it should come with everything it needs to work?
    Thats not brain science, its me who is asking virtualbox to give me what it needs.
    Yeah this isnt the first time I have seen this in arch, seems rather moronic not to have the component something needs to operate.
    Basically Arch is for those who like pain methinks sometimes.
    I will stick with antergos but this is a mark against it in my book sorry.

• Oh and the fix did not work.
    Argh, guess I will use qemu or something for testing distros now.
    Sigh.

• If you would like help in figuring out why Virtualbox is not working, I’d be more than happy to assist. However, I must insist that you keep in mind the following:

1. Antergos is open source software made available for you to completely free.
    2. As with most open source software projects, the other developers and I volunteer (unpaid) our time to Antergos. We all have full-time jobs and families to take care of.
    3. We absolutely will not tolerate unhelpful, rude, or otherwise negative posts in our forum. The #1 rule in our community is to always be helpful and tolerant of other users.

Now, if you would like to figure out this virtualbox issue, please post the output of your journal log after attempting to start a VM.

sudo journalctl -b

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• I am just a fan of things working the way they are supposed to, its all simple logic.
    It seems to me the arch approach is to give you the car but you need to put it together and not all the parts are included and you have to build them yourself.
    It is rather counter intuitive in my book.
    I only say its moronic as I call things the way things are, if something that is supposed to be there not there and doesnt function properly then why have it in the first place, to annoy the end user?
    This is not an optional part of virtualbox, again if I install virtualbox should it be logical to include everything it needs to operate?
    Again you said the arch way is that “not everyone wants blah blah blah” which is no better then micorosoft claiming "its not a bug its a feature!"
    Well if I am installing the app then obviously I would want what it needs to function and not have to jump through hoops to get it.
    Maybe virtualbox should not be offered as an installation option if its not going to work, if everything must be hand coded then just limit it to aur or source code.
    Or better yet in the antergos repos offer a patched version, I know the distro is trying to stay as true to arch as possible but sometimes minor tweaks are needed.
    This kind of thing annoys me, I just happen to be upfront and honest and if that means calling the arch developers a bad name its only because they sure seem to act like it.
    I prefer honesty over anything, its how I am and if I feel someone acts like a (insert bad evil name here) I am not afraid to call it.
    Its not violating the TOS to be honest, it violates the TOS when you do nothing but insult.
    I only said one bad nasty evil word (oh no not the M word!), it means nothing and its out of annoyance and its nothing personal.
    When its personal then you would know it, I would use far stronger language.
    This is just an annoyance and a major setback on my experience.
    I am going to try another distro here soon but my experience with antergos has been overall positive, if you decide to offer a patched virtualbox in the future consider me sold.
    This is just one single issue in the end, a minor one maybe but annoying and I hope to see something help it.

• Update: Issue now fixed… somehow, I guess the threat of distro hopping proved fruitful

Posts 10Views 2383