• Mate

Just installed the mate-version this morning on my netbook without any problems

Intel Xeon cpu W3565 @ 3.2 GHZ, 10 GB ram: Antergos-DDE
    AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core @ 3.1GHz, 16 GB ram: Deepin 15.04

• Just installed the mate-version this morning on my netbook without any problems

• No I use Mate on the side (cinnamon is my primary though but both work well together)

• ive been meaning to try mate again in a virtualbox. its been over a year since i last tried it. it was really buggy at that time for me. hopefully they have improved it because gnome2 was great.

• @“megaman”:211vzi73 said:

ive been meaning to try mate again in a virtualbox. its been over a year since i last tried it. it was really buggy at that time for me. hopefully they have improved it because gnome2 was great.[/quote:211vzi73]

Mate for me is really good, but its best implementation is in Linux Mint

• i do love how lightweight it is and has that good ol gnome 2 feel that i loved. glad to hear its working good.

• i run it on a dell mini inspiron with 1gb ram and it is fantastic on this little machine

• @“drum”:3efdvs8s said:

Just installed the mate-version this morning on my netbook without any problems

Nope, count me in as a user of Mate as well. It would be nice to see Mate added to the top of the Applications & Desktop Environments forum with the rest of the DE’s.

• what is the advantage of mate over xfce though? they seem very close to me.

• imo mate runs a little bit lighter than xfce

• @“megaman”:3npv6zpo said:

what is the advantage of mate over xfce though? they seem very close to me.[/quote:3npv6zpo]
    IMO, XFCE takes some work to configure. Mate is much simpler to configure (really there is no configuration required). It is a simple DE much like Gnome 2. I never liked XFCE for that reason. Once you configure XFCE the way you want, it’s great. I just never liked it.

I prefer Cinnamon with Gnome 3 as my backup.

• i guess its all personal preference i found xfce very easy to config. i was a super huge fan of gnome2 back in the day. thats what i started linux on and used for a long time.

just recently though i find xfce much more stable than mate. just my experience maybe not everyone has that feeling.

of course i run openbox so that should tell you what i think about having a DE lol

• @“drum”:2a3n1yfl said:

imo mate runs a little bit lighter than xfce[/quote:2a3n1yfl]

ya you are probably right. but just a little

• @“megaman”:2gw5t5vf said:

i find xfce much more stable than mate. just my experience maybe not everyone has that feeling.[/quote:2gw5t5vf]I have to admit, my experience is the same as yours

Posts 14Views 2511