• Name Resolution fails

Hello everybody! I’m not quite sure if this is the right section for connection issues. So if not: sorry!
    I already asked this question in the german section, but even joekamprad could not help me out (still can’t belive that!).
    I am connected via my home-wifi, can access the router (via IP), can ping other IPs e.g. 8.8.8.8, but not google.com or other domains -> name resolution failed.
    The same error occurs with a wired connection.
    It occurred out of nowhere when I opened Firefox. At first it seemed like only FF had connectivity issues (Opera still worked), but after a reboot the whole system was affected.

systemctl status NetworkManager.service

output is:

● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
      Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.d
               └─NetworkManager-ovs.conf
       Active: active (running) since Wed 2018-08-15 19:04:25 CEST; 20min ago
         Docs: man:NetworkManager(8)
     Main PID: 384 (NetworkManager)
        Tasks: 4 (limit: 4374)
       Memory: 17.0M
       CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
               └─384 /usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

Aug 15 19:04:33 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534352673.7390] device (wlp2s0): Activation: successful, device activated.
    Aug 15 19:04:33 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534352673.7402] manager: startup complete
    Aug 15 19:04:36 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534352676.0142] dhcp6 (wlp2s0): activation: beginning transaction (timeout in 45 seconds)
    Aug 15 19:04:36 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534352676.0164] policy: set 'FRITZ!Box 7560 TD' (wlp2s0) as default for IPv6 routing and DNS
    Aug 15 19:04:36 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534352676.0199] dhcp6 (wlp2s0):   nameserver fd00::7eff:4dff:feb8:9464
    Aug 15 19:04:36 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534352676.0199] dhcp6 (wlp2s0): state changed unknown -> bound
    Aug 15 19:13:55 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534353235.9147] settings-connection[0x5619a0de6470,344ea642-4159-4579-bda8-1368fcd6d5d4]: write: successfully updated (keyfile: update /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/FRITZ!Box 7560 TD (344ea642-4159-4579-bda8-1368fcd6d5d4,"FRITZ!Box 7560 TD"))
    Aug 15 19:13:55 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534353235.9153] audit: op="connection-update" uuid="344ea642-4159-4579-bda8-1368fcd6d5d4" name="FRITZ!Box 7560 TD" args="connection.timestamp,ipv6.method,802-11-wireless-security.auth-alg,802-11-wireless.seen-bssids" pid=2660 uid=1000 result="success"
    Aug 15 19:14:13 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534353253.4861] settings-connection[0x5619a0de6470,344ea642-4159-4579-bda8-1368fcd6d5d4]: write: successfully updated (keyfile: update /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/FRITZ!Box 7560 TD (344ea642-4159-4579-bda8-1368fcd6d5d4,"FRITZ!Box 7560 TD"))
    Aug 15 19:14:13 pc1 NetworkManager[384]: <info>  [1534353253.4873] audit: op="connection-update" uuid="344ea642-4159-4579-bda8-1368fcd6d5d4" name="FRITZ!Box 7560 TD" args="ipv6.method" pid=2660 uid=1000 result="success"

NB: joekamprad mentioned in the german thread that there’s only IPv4 available and a nameserver is missing. Right now I’m in a different flat where we do have IPv6 - just in case anybody is wondering.

output of lspci, lsusb and journalctl -b -0 (I deleted and blacked out some unnecessary information):
    https://pastebin.com/SaaPmP9F

Any ideas? I really really don’t want to use Windows anymore, I miss my beloved, working Antergos 😖

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tivi

• @tivi

Did that happen after an update?

Since i saw some people complaining about networkmanager these days maybe you can downgrade it.

You can check if you have old versions stored at pacman cache with
    ls /var/cache/pacman/pkg |grep networkmanager

The output is similar to this:

networkmanager-1.10.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    networkmanager-1.12.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    networkmanager-1.12.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    networkmanager-1.12.3dev+1+g0a3755c17-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Then install one of them with sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/networkmanager-1.10.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz for example

Also have you tested if booting with any linux distro (like antergos iso) you can access internet?

• Hey, thanks for your help!

@tivi

Did that happen after an update?

No, at least not directly. Everything worked and on the next day the FF issue occurred.

Then install one of them with sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/networkmanager-1.10.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz for example

I did with all versions, rebooted everytime but the problem is still there.

Also have you tested if booting with any linux distro (like antergos iso) you can access internet?

With my old Antergos iso (the one I installed in first place) I have a flawless connection.

• @tivi

Ok, i see a lot of gdbus errors, maybe some wrong file permission is preventing polkit from running networkmanager.

Can you give the output from the bellow commands?

ls -l /usr/share/ |grep "polkit"

and

ls -l /usr/share/polkit-1 |grep "actions"

• Can you give the output from the bellow commands?

Sure!

ls -l /usr/share/ |grep "polkit"

-> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 12. Jan 2018 polkit-1

ls -l /usr/share/polkit-1 |grep "actions"

-> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 15. Aug 21:36 actions

• @tivi

Ok, the folder leading to gdbus files is fine…

• @tivi
    Are you sure your home wifi router is working correctly? Maybe a reboot of that device helps… Or maybe needs to be replaced…

The FF-only issue may have been caused by caching, I mean other programs (like opera) may have had stuff in their cache and thus opera just seemed to work even though in reality it used only its cache?

• @tivi
    Can you check that your other devices like phone can use the wifi router without problems?

• Are you sure your home wifi router is working correctly?

Definitely, 4 other laptops, 5 smartphones and 3 tablets work just fine. (I‘m not that rich, its a shared flat though :)) And my connection problems happened in both flats, so I think it’s more the machine itself.

The FF-only issue may have been caused by caching, I mean other programs (like opera) may have had stuff in their cache and thus opera just seemed to work even though in reality it used only its cache?

Yes maybe. But I think i got results googling to fix the FF issue. But can’t really tell to be honest.

• @Tivi

What is the address in /etc/resolv.conf ?

I’m not using ipv6, but when i search the address for the name server your using ( nameserver fd00::7eff:4dff:feb8:9464 ), i get this response :
    remarks: This network should never be routed outside an enterprise.

If you want a valid ipv6 address, you could try a valid address from opennic https://www.opennic.org/

• What is the address in /etc/resolv.conf ?

# Generated by NetworkManager 
    search fritz.box
    nameserver 192.168.178.2
    nameserver fd00: :7eff:4dff:feb8:9464

I’m not using ipv6, but when i search the address for the name server your using ( nameserver fd00::7eff:4dff:feb8:9464 ), i get this response :
    remarks: This network should never be routed outside an enterprise.

If you want a valid ipv6 address, you could try a valid address from opennic https://www.opennic.org/
    I did not actively add this sever, that was done by the network manager. Should I change it manually?

• @tivi Ok. So maybe some update mixed up things? I’d reinstall all DNS related packages, and also network related, and the kernel(s) you are using. That just might help, but a bit guessing since the real reason for the issue is not certain. Anyway, reinstalling those shouldn’t hurt either. :)

• @manuel said in Name Resolution fails:

@tivi Ok. So maybe some update mixed up things? I’d reinstall all DNS related packages, and also network related, and the kernel(s) you are using. That just might help, but a bit guessing since the real reason for the issue is not certain. Anyway, reinstalling those shouldn’t hurt either. :)

That sounds like a plan, indeed. But I must, again, admit my level of ignorance: How to find out which packages are DNS related?
    Command for reinstall is pacman -S pkg, right?

• @tivi
    You could try the following commands to find all DNS related packages:

pacman -Qs dns

and similar to network

pacman -Qs network

and maybe if you can think of more names to search for. :)

And yes, reinstall command is something like

sudo pacman -S package_name

BTW, does the problem exist if you use your phone’s USB tethering or Wifi tethering?
    And can you install any new packages in any way?

• BTW, does the problem exist if you use your phone’s USB tethering or Wifi tethering?
    And can you install any new packages in any way?

Same problem, can ping 8.8.8.8 but not google.com.
    Can’t install or update any packages.

I guess half of the dns and network related packages are reinstalled now, but the other half failed with an error like “Could not resolve host xyz” (this error repeats with a whole bunch of hosts). Do I really have to download all of them manually on a different machine, copy them somewhere in antergos and reinstall again? I desperately hope not… :(

• @tivi
    I may take ages to find the real reason, even though it may be a simple one (or there could be many reasons working together to make this a real issue…).

Does the USB installer stick’s network work OK?

You know where I’m going to…

I suggest reinstalling the whole thing, but of course before doing that, take a backup of all your important data.

• @tivi
    Hmmm… You could use the installer stick to update your system, provided the USB stick can use network.

• Just boot with the USB stick and show the output of

lsblk -fm

BTW, can you ping google.de while booted to the stick?

Then run some commands (depending on your partitions!!!) to get you chrooted to your installed system:

su  # get root rights
    mount /dev/sdXY /mnt   # X and Y taken from your Antergos root partition
    arch-chroot /mnt

Can you then run those pacman commands? Does the network work?

• I hope it works, i’m running out of ideas…

• if it’s not too late, i guess that this is the root cause.

From arch wiki: resolv.conf

resolv.conf
    NetworkManager overwrites resolv.conf by default.

This can be stopped by adding dns=none to the [main] section in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

After that /etc/resolv.conf might be a broken symlink that you will need to remove. Then, just create a new /etc/resolv.conf file.

NetworkManager also offers hooks via so called dispatcher scripts that can be used to alter the /etc/resolv.conf after network changes. See #Network services with NetworkManager dispatcher and NetworkManager(8) for more information.

fails47 resolution19 Posts 20Views 622
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.