• Community Editions

It would be nice to have additional live ISOs like some other distros do (Community Editions), at least for KDE and possibly other complete desktop environments. So that users can try them and choose before installing.

The ISOs could be refreshed once in 1 or 2 years (even if they become stale/unmaintained, users can still see how the different DEs look like on Antergos).

It looks like something already exists for Deepin: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com

• @knightfall said in Community Editions:

It would be nice to have additional live ISOs like some other distros do (Community Editions), at least for KDE and possibly other complete desktop environments.

As part of Antergos installation, you have a choice of 8 different DE’s ranging from base (no DE at all) to Gnome, KDE, Deepin, Openbox, and others. You can also install multiple DE’s on Antergos at a time to compare two DE’s side by side.

The effort to maintain 8 different live ISOs in not worth the effort when all 8 are available at installation from 1 ISO.

• @knightfall

A totally Antergos based respin i find a little hard to do. For example i tried some time ago to migrate my iso from using archiso tool to the Antergos tool and found many conflicts/bugs. At the end i simply kept launching releases using archiso, even if i use antergos repositories because it was simpler.

Probably the same for the deepin version (which became a new distro made by @Keegan)

I don’t know if the rescue iso/nvidia iso, both developed by @joekamprad, use archiso or antergos, but anyway he removed some stuff to make the iso faster and more compatible to nvidia systems.

In short, i think none of our “respins” wanted to show more about desktop choices or antergos itself, but to add some features to them or make them more eficient.

• Well, the idea was avoiding the installation and let the user try first…

Having just the complete DEs (no window managers: KDE, XFCE, Deepin…) in a single ISO and let the user choose a DE at login. Updating once in a couple of years shouldn’t be too much of a hassle, but it’s just an idea anyway.

• @knightfall said in Community Editions:

Having just the complete DEs (no window managers: KDE, XFCE, Deepin…) in a single ISO and let the user choose a DE at login. Updating once in a couple of years shouldn’t be too much of a hassle, but it’s just an idea anyway.

It’s possible. I don’t have time right now to accomplish that… Also you could make one by yourself, since you’re part of the community too hehehe :P

I’m working to make a 32 bits iso now, cause i want to save an old machine here, and i’ll release it too, if someone is interested.

• Antergos Rescue is made on Archiso too…
    But it should be possible to build Antergos testing Iso with a KDE environment, it will cause some modifications but should possible work…
    A ISO with more then one aviable DE would be way to big. What would increase download time and will be impossible to burn on a DVD…

• @joekamprad said in Community Editions:

A ISO with more then one aviable DE would be way to big. What would increase download time and will be impossible to burn on a DVD…

You’re right, I hadn’t thought of that.

Well anyway I saw there are videos of the various DEs in Antergos on youtube: those should suffice.

• @fernandomaroto said in Community Editions:

I’m working to make a 32 bits iso now, cause i want to save an old machine here, and i’ll release it too, if someone is interested.

I, for one, would be. If you need a guinea pig, erm, beta tester, just let me know.

• @grenouille said in Community Editions:

I, for one, would be. If you need a guinea pig, erm, beta tester, just let me know.

Hehehe ok, thanks!
    It’s almost done actually, but yesterday just came home my first raspberry pi, and i’m spending some time on it now, but i believe i can release the first 32 bits version next week…

• @fernandomaroto

LOL I get it. New toys are always gonna come first. I have an old Acer netbook just waiting to get Ubuntu Mate wiped off of it.

• @fernandomaroto
    Actually I might try that 32bit version, too! I have an old Asus netbook with 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB disk. Hopefully the machine still works, it has been unused for a couple of years now… ;)

• i have some very old thinkpads, but they are way less powered, like a 600E

community11 editions1 Posts 13Views 464
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.