• Black screen after boot message: "starting version 239"

Hello Antergos community,

I am fairly new to Linux and have a serious problem.
    After updating warcraft III (playonlinux) my computer started working really slowly, so I tried to start system monitor to stop the process.
    System monitor would not start, so I tried to reboot my system, but after rebooting all I got was the starting version 239 message and then I got a black screen (no blinking cursor, it’s just entirely black).
    I tried switching to a different tty via ctrl + alt + f1-f7, but nothing happened.
    Booting to linux fallback, linux lts or linux lts fallback did not help either.

My Desktop Environment is Cinnamon and I have an NVidia 660 TI graphics card.
    If I need to provide any more information, please let me know.

I have a lot of important files on that computer and would really appreciate your help.

• @sora said in Black screen after boot message: "starting version 239":

Hi!

239 message

That’s normal

and then I got a black screen (no blinking cursor, it’s just entirely black).
    I tried switching to a different tty via ctrl + alt + f1-f7, but nothing happened.
    Booting to linux fallback, linux lts or linux lts fallback did not help either.

You followed the right procedures AFAIK

Did you update the system right before this issue?

You can try to boot Antergos iso, mount your partitions and then backup your important files at least. Then update your system, and reboot again. Since there are no error messages only trial and error may fix you problems like:

Booting antergos iso and mounting partitions, then:

• update system
    • regenerate initramfs
    • uninstall nvidia driver
    • change login manager

Tutorials to mount partitions:
    Sorry, the wiki page for antergos is not working here… I think the site is down.

• @fernandomaroto Thanks for your quick response.

In the mean time I tried adding the emergency parameter to the kernel (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_troubleshooting#Recovery_shells).
    That got me a working shell (logged in as root) and I can see my files with the ls command.
    Since that works, I assume I don’t need to boot into a live ISO anymore?
    Does this change anything to the advice you gave and if not, should I try to follow your advice exactly in that order?

I’m not familiar with (regenerating) initramfs and I also do not know how to change the login manager.
    I will try to find some information about these topics on the internet, but If you or anyone else has the time to guide me through these steps, it would be really helpful to me.

Thanks again! :D

• When I try to upgrade (as root) with: pacman -Syyu I get a lot of errors.
    “error: failed retrieving file ‘multilib.db’ from arbitrary.mirror.uri : Could not resolve host: arbitrary.mirror.uri”
    I’m getting more than 100 of these errors.
    So I’m not sure how to proceed from here.

I’m pretty sure something went wrong with updating linux earlier as you suspected and that the warcraft III update had nothing to do with this black screen problem.

• @sora

Hi again!
    Booting with the iso is easier, because you can use the mouse, even open a browser to copy/paste commands in order to solve the problems, but using the terminal as you did is not a problem at all.

When I try to upgrade (as root) with: pacman -Syyu I get a lot of errors.
    “error: failed retrieving file ‘multilib.db’ from arbitrary.mirror.uri : Could not resolve host: arbitrary.mirror.uri”

Ok, there can be multiple reasons for the database error , i read some people that can’t connect to the internet after updating nm-applet :(

after login you’ll need to manually check your mrrorlist with:

nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

check if some of the servers are commented (i mean with ## at beggining), if so uncomment them like below:

Server = http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
    Server = http://arlm.tyzoid.com/$repo/os/$arch
    Server = http://arch.mirror.square-r00t.net/$repo/os/$arch
    Server = http://arch.mirror.constant.com/$repo/os/$arch
    Server = https://arch.mirror.constant.com/$repo/os/$arch

then press Ctrl+o to save and Ctrl+x to exit the text editor.

Finally try updating again, if doesn’t work we’ll try something else.

• This post is deleted!
  • None of the servers have been commented.
    pacman -Syyu keeps failing.

I thought maybe there’s something wrong with connecting to the internet, so I tried to ping and got:
    “ping: Temporary failure in name resolution”

Host gives another error:
    “host: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.61: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

• if network connection is wired try to connect with dhcpcd

• @joekamprad thanks for your suggestion.

I’m not entirely sure how to connect with dhcpcd, but when I just type:
    dhcpcd
    in the shell I get:
    “dev: loaded udev
    no valid interfaces found
    no interfaces have a carrier
    forked to background, child pid 281”

and the second time I type dhcpcd I get:
    “sending commands to master dhcpcd process”

• With

ifconfig

You will get device name
    Then you can proceed

dhcpcd 

Followed by the name you get

• @joekamprad ifconfig and ip link both only show the loopback device.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Listing_network_interfaces
    says: “Note that lo is the loop device and not used in making network connections.”
    so I guess there’s something really going wrong here.

• when I type:
    lspci -v
    I get a bunch of items and one of them is my Broadcom Limited Netlink BCM57781 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10) controller and then a list of information about it.
    At the bottom of that list it says:
    “Kernel modules: tg3”

So I typed:
    dmesg | grep tg3
    and got no result.

• Sorry i just came back now… It’s complicated, your system seems to have multiple issues.

Ok, one thing “not too hard to do” is mounting your partitions , quoting from the wiki brllow:

FOR EFI SYSTEMS

Boot up with our LiveIso.

mount System to /mnt

You need to know which device is the right one check with sudo fdisk -l

sudo su

/dev/sdXn should be replaced with the right device information, and depending on your installation you may have or have not a seperate /boot partition. If not /boot is a folder under / on the same partition as the filesystem root.

mount /dev/sdXn /mnt >> / root partition

mount /dev/sdXn /mnt/boot >>> /boot partition --> without extra /boot partition you do not need this step!

mount /dev/sdXn /mnt/boot/efi >>>>> the EFI-boot (fat) partition

FOR LEGACY BIOS

Boot up with our LiveIso.

mount System to /mnt

You need to know which device is the right one check with sudo fdisk -l

sudo su

/dev/sdXn should be replaced with the right device information, and depending on your installation you may have or have not a seperate /boot partition. If not /boot is a folder under / on the same partition as the filesystem root.

mount /dev/sdXn /mnt >> / root partition

mount /dev/sdXn /mnt/boot >>> /boot partition --> without extra /boot partition you do not need this step!

Finally update the system with sudo pacman -Syyuu --root /mnt
    This way you update your system using Antergos iso only, i thought about it once and it worked very well for me.

• @fernandomaroto Thanks for this suggestion, I have a feeling this is going to work :)

I have an EFI system, but the I don’t understand the > parts of these commands and I don’t understand why I need to mount more than once.
    Especially the:

the EFI-boot (fat)
    part is confusing me.
    Should I literally copy this part, or should I fill in something appropriate (which I don’t know what that would be) on this spot?

Could you explain to me how I should enter these commands with an example (without any placeholders)?

when I type:
    fdisk -l

I get:
    "Disk /dev/sda: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: FC1164CB-54F4-4E73-ABE4-D98F74E71A95

Device		Start		End			Sectors		Size		Type
    /dev/sda1	2048		411647		409600		200M	EFI System
    /dev/sda2	411648		935935		524288		256M	Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3	935936		483993599	483057664	230.3G	Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda4	483993600	500118158	16124559	7.7G	Linux swap

So I assume sdXn should be replaced with sda1 everywhere.

• @sora
    You’ll get a bit more info with command

lsblk -fm

The it should be easier to see which partition is root and boot. But from the sizes it seems /dev/sda2 is boot and /dev/sda3 is root. EFI is /dev/sda1.

Anyway, if you didn’t already do so, the best thing to do first is to backup your important data.

Then try the suggestion of @fernandomaroto . Probably something like:

sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot   # but make sure you have a boot partition!
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi

I’ve never used pacman as @fernandomaroto suggested, and the man pages says you should use option --sysroot instead of --root.

What I have used is arch-chroot:

sudo arch-chroot /mnt
    sudo pacman -Syyuu

If the above doesn’t help, then as a last resort, I guess the fastest way forward is to reinstall Antergos…

• @sora
    Just read you posts again. Of course the network issue needs to be solved first (after creating the backup!).
    But since your system seems to have many issues, maybe reinstall really is the fastest way forward.

• @manuel Ah ok I get it now. :)
    At first I thought the explainations were part of the commands themselves, but now it makes sense.

after mounting successfully I tried:
    sudo pacman -Syyuu --root /mnt

and got:

Total Download Size: 340.24 MiB
    Total Installed Size: 1104.68 MiB
    Net Upgrade Size: -28.93 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
    “error: Partition / too full 91266 blocks needed, 76934 blocks free
    error: failed to commit transaction (not enough free disk space)
    Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.”

I guess this has to do with the USB stick live ISO itself being too full, because I have about 100 gigabytes of free available disk space on that SSD.
    Is there a special procedure for creating a live ISO on a USB stick, WHILE KEEPING THE REST OF THE USB STICK SPACE AVAILABLE?
    Or maybe something else is going on, I don’t know.

I would prefer to keep reinstalling Antergos as an absolute last resort.

• @manuel The network issue only occurs in emergency mode (by passing emergency as a parameter via the shell in grub).

Now that I have a Live ISO USB stick, the issue is gone and internet access is back again (only in the Live ISO). :)

• @sora you need tp roceed the update inside the arch-chroot, to be clear, this will be like inside the installed system, that for you are mounting the partitions before.
    Inside chroot means inside the same terminal you execute the command sudo arch-chroot /mnt

• @fernandomaroto @joekamprad @manuel Thank you guys sooooo soooo much! 😁 I am back in my system now and can go play warcraft III again. IT WORKED!!! 😁

For future readers:

sudo pacman -Syyuu --root /mnt did NOT work.
    sudo pacman -Syyuu --sysroot /mnt did NOT work either.

The following DID ABSOLUTELY WORK AND I’M SO HAPPY!!! 😁
    sudo arch-chroot /mnt
    sudo pacman -Syyuu

boot271 booting problem19 bootup4 boot-problems4 Posts 24Views 1601
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.