• Configure Mouse Acceleration independent of Mouse Sensitivity

DE: Gnome
    Input Library: libinput
    Packages up to date.
    Mouse used: Zowie EC2-A

I kinda like mouse acceleration, and my acceleration profile is set to Adaptive.

However, is it possible with libinput to configure the acceleration without impacting base sensitivity?

The only variable I can change, with or without GUI (as far as I’ve seen at least), is the overal sensitivity.

What I’d like is to alter acceleration, not sensitivity. I’ve seen some mentions here and there about altering a variable called Constant Deceleration, but that doesn’t seem to be available with libinput.

So the question boils down to the topic name: is it somehow possible with libinput to alter mouse acceleration without impacting mouse sensitivity?

• Yes! Here’s the command to do so (I found it a month ago as I was thinking the same thing you are now, but it took a LOT of digging! I’m so glad this information might finally prove useful to someone else :) )

synclient MinSpeed=14

Just change the number there according to your desired speed. To make it faster, us a higher number. To make it slower, use a lower number.

Hope this helps!

• Ahoy!

Thank you for the response! However, I did not have that command installed on my computer. After searching, it seems that it’s part of the xf86-input-synaptics package, which appears to be for touchpads only.

I’m not using a touchpad, however. But I did try to install it, though unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to work. It gives me the message Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?, which is fair considering I don’t have a touchpad connected.

Also, it seems synclient may not be as future proof, if I may believe the Arch Linux wiki page for it.
    It says “Warning: xf86-input-synaptics is no longer actively updated. If possible, use libinput.”.

Again, thank you for the response, but unless I’m missing something, this isn’t going to work for me.

• Silly me. I should have realized that you weren’t using a touchpad like I am on my laptop 😄 . I don’t know of any other “great” ideas offhand, but I can certainly look into it! And thank you so much for the warning concerning the future. I was wondering why it wasn’t working on KDE, and now I think I know.

Thanks again!

• @keegan
    Try also installing libsynaptics in addition to xf86-input-synaptics. It won’t work on MATE, either, unless both are installed.

• Thanks! That’s good to know then :)

• I suppose it may not be possible (yet). As far as I know, libinput is still being developed, so the feature may come one day. Multiple searches on the internet yielded no result as to what I’m looking for.

But it would only have been a quality of life improvement, I guess. I can live without it.

I will accept defeat (for now), but I’m not sure if I should label this topic as ‘solved’, seeing as no proper solution has been found :P

• I’ll keep up the search! I’m off for a trip this week, but next week I’ll check back into this for sure :) .

All hope’s not lost yet!

mouse63 acceleration6 libinput5 Posts 8Views 382
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.