• Dell XPS 13 (9360) : Screen brightness control stopped working

Is someone else facing a similar issue of not able to adjust the screen brightness ? Both brightness control in Gnome GUI and Fn keys have stopped working. I am able to change the brightness by changing values manually in /cd /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness. It used to work perfectly fine ever since fresh install (3 weeks back) till it stopped now.

I recently upgraded all the packages which included a move to Kernel 4.17.11-arch1 and linux-firmware 20180717.8d69bab-1. I noticed the error after the upgrade.

• @vishnuedamana
    Have you tried booting to linux-lts? It can be installed with command

sudo pacman -S linux-lts

• @manuel Thanks for the reply !

I tried rolling back to 4.17.9 a-1, as I didn’t have issues with the previous setup, but it didn’t work. As you suggested I downgraded to LTS kernel and appropriate linux-headers; used downgrade utility for it and then upgraded the grub. Still the issue remains.
    Here is the dmesg out as you suggest 😉

• @easwaran
    I actually suggest doing kernel installation the official way:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts

and optionally linux-lts-headers if needed. This way you’ll have e.g. initramfs handled properly (I’m not sure if downgrade does it).

Anyway, since downgrading to previously working kernel didn’t work anymore, then I guess it cannot be a kernel issue. I suspect Gnome, although I have no proof of it. ;)

Depending on your machine, you could try installing package xorg-xbacklight and check if command xbacklight works. See

man xbacklight

for more info.

• Sometimes /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-backlight.conf happens to be necessary. Something like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "Backlight"  "intel_backlight"
    EndSection

dell29 xps25 brightness14 93604 Posts 5Views 420
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.