• Desktop Environments - Least library share/issues

Hi Everyone,
    This post/query is about a question that every new Linux user has at some point of time. Usage of different desktop environment.

I have been through the forums enough to understand (at least at a high level) that it is possible and the pros and cons of each of them. But there is one thing that I have not been able to understand or gain enough knowledge on.

1. The desktop environments that work well together ??

By this query I am not getting on the topic of visual harmony, but rather on identifying the desktop environments which could work well together with the least possible conflicts (not visual) that could happen at library level/config file level.

Usage of common libraries/common config files etc etc. I am currently running KDE. Kindly help me in understanding atleast a couple of desktop environments that work without any conflicts.

2. Is similar ideas/libraries a good thing or not ??
    I would like to understand if having similar ideas will cause more conflicts or lesser. For example Cinnamon and Mate which I think looks closer and built similar to UNITY (apologies in advance if I am wrong) ?, do they have similar libraries ? will installing them both cause more issues in case they have similar libraries ? I am mentioning these two merely as examples. Please consider for all DE with common base.

3. Which DE apart from Gnome and KDE are having active development ??
    I understand Gnome and KDE are constantly being updated. Can the same be said for the other DEs ? I see the last announcement on the XFCE website coming in 2015 (not that it matters. I do like XFCE very much). So which DE is being updated frequently with newer features ?

All in all suggest two DEs (not WMs) which work well together without breaking the system and with minimal dependencies.

Cheers 👍

• Hi,

1. The desktop environments that work well together ??

Yes. All of them. You might have aesthetic issues (that can be solved) if using Qt apps in Gnome, or Gtk apps in Plasma. But they will work.

1. Is similar ideas/libraries a good thing or not ??

Doesn’t matter. It will reduce hard disk space if you don’t have to install both Qt and Gtk libraries and apps, that’s all.

1. Which DE apart from Gnome and KDE are having active development ??

Well, Gnome and Plasma are the ones that get more attention and that have a big group of programmers and designers working on them.

XFCE development has always been done at a slow pace. I think it’s because there is no many people behind it. You could say it’s slow but steady.

Cinnamon is maintained by the Linux Mint guys. It’s development is slower than Gnome/Kde but I would not say it’s slow.

MATE is maintained also by five or six developers. They had a big rewrite when they went to Gtk3.

Deepin is maintained by a Chinese group, which also maintain a distribution of the same name. There’s many people that like it, but imho, it’s still in a beta stage (and major updates tend to break things).

All in all suggest two DEs (not WMs) which work well together without breaking the system and with minimal dependencies.

All of them 😁 But if you want minimal dependencies, you should use two that use the same widget library, that is, either qt or gtk.

Cheers!

library5 environments4 shareissues1 Posts 2Views 196
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.