• KDE network filesharing help

Hello Everyone,
    This is a bit of a issue for me as I like having the ability to manage my shares from Dolphin but lately the option to share a directory isn’t functioning. I am able to select the share tab and also able to select a user to share with and permissions. If I then close the dolphin window and reopen none of my previous selections are there. Everything is greyed out again and share isn’t created.
    Where does one start with diagnosis of kdenetworkfilesharing and samba issues. Testparm shows samba to be running but kdenetworkfilesharing isn’t creating any entries in etc/samba/smb.conf or anywhere else as far as I can see.

• I don’t know about KDE’s network filesharing when using Dolphin, but there’s this AMAZING application by @manuel (that I added a few things to) which allows you to do just that using HTTP and not samba. It should work for you as an alternative until the whole kdenetworkfilesharing/samba thing is figured out :) . It’s only 2 files large, and so shouldn’t take up much space at all for you to try. If you are interested in giving it a go, here’s the link to the package (with a few simple changes I made to it):

https://repo.itmettke.de/Reborn-OS/filedrawer-0.2-0.1-any.pkg.tar.xz

Simply click on that link and it will automatically begin downloading for you. Then, just click on it in your file manager and Pamac will install it for you in the space of a few seconds!

Hope this can help you until you have things figured out :) .

• Keegan, Thank you for the link.
    I’m curious, being that it’s http based is it treated like WebDAV for creating folders and permissions? Or is it something that I can use as a “network location” and just drag n drop into or out of?

• Also in case anyone else can comment on the state of samba and kdenetworkfilesharing I had made a guide for myself that worked as intended about 6 months ago. When I built another system this week my guide is no longer giving a win. Maybe someone can critique it and set me straight.
    Here are the steps I followed exactly
    Samba on KDE Arch Linux

Install software center or pacman:

kdenetwork-filesharing note the dependency for samba: folder sharing

ensure samba and kdenfs installed with no errors

in terminal type:

sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/samba/usershares

sudo groupadd -r sambashare

sudo chown root:sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares

sudo chmod 1770 /var/lib/samba/usershares

sudo gpasswd sambashare -a terry (replace terry with username of choice)

now create an smb.conf file via a text editor in the terminal

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

paste this information below into the smb.conf file

[global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP

dns proxy = no

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

max log size = 1000

client max protocol = default

server role = standalone server

passdb backend = tdbsam

obey pam restrictions = yes

unix password sync = yes

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

passwd chat = NewUNIXpassword %n¥n ReTypenewUNIXpassword* %n¥n

passwd:allauthenticationtokensupdatedsuccessfully*

pam password change = yes

map to guest = bad user

usershare allow guests = no

name resolve order = lmhosts bcast host wins

security = user

encrypt passwords = yes

guest account = nobody

usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershares

usershare max shares = 100

usershare owner only = yes

group = sambashare

Now enable the samba daemons to start automatically

in terminal type:

sudo systemctl enable smb nmb

now restart the system and create a share via folder properties in dolphin

Now test your config with terminal Type: testparm and enter

if it’s working without error you’re safe to continue

sudo smbpasswd -a terry

• @backbone said in KDE network filesharing help:

I’m curious, being that it’s http based is it treated like WebDAV for creating folders and permissions? Or is it something that I can use as a “network location” and just drag n drop into or out of?

Well, to be honest I’m not quite sure. As mentioned earlier, the real credit goes entirely to @manuel, as he is the creator of that :). All I did was package it and add a few more buttons - simple things like allowing your browser to open to the correct IP address. So I’m afraid he’d be the one to ask!

• @keegan @backbone
    Filedrawer is a very simple http server for downloading files in local network. It really does not do more than that. It doesn’t provide means for managing files nor folders. It is actually based on a one-liner of python code and with some extra sugar around the line.

• Ahhh… thanks for the background info @manuel! That makes sense, as I did see a bit of Python in there :) .

So thank you! Now I actually understand how you did that “magic”😄

• @keegan By the way, since it is based on python, there is a possibility for incompatibility issues when new python versions are released. Just saying this in case you happen to encounter strange problems with it.

• Thanks! I already found that to be true for older Python versions (like the ones on Ubuntu) but thankfully I just had to invoke python3 instead of plain old python there :) .

So I like to think it shouldn’t be too difficult!

kde206 Posts 9Views 437
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.