• Unable to boot into live O's (Nvidia issue?)

Hello!,

For the past couple of days, I have been attempting to dual boot Windows and Antergos on my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9560). I’ve been able to get mint working but I decided I wanted a arch variant. However, I haven’t even been able to get into the live OS, which I am assuming is because of my dGPU (gtx 1050).

I have tried the Nvidia fallback option, however, I am greeted with a black screen with a console cursor in the upper left. The regular live boot displays a white splash screen with the Antergos logo and then freezes.

I’ve gone through a few threads on this forum and it seems this has been happening for a few years.

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7715/nvidia-installation-driver-blinking-cursor (User has a similar model as me and similar problems) however the launch options didn’t seem to help

I’ve also tried using systemd.unit=multi-user.target and nomodeset to no avail.

Disabling the dGPU is not an option in Bios. Secureboot has been turned off. Bootable USB was created in Rufus on a Windows 10 host.

I was wondering if there are any easy fixes to disable the nouveau drivers or find a way to get into the live os so I can start installation.

Thank you :)

Feel free to let me know if anymore information is needed

• @mattc said in Unable to boot into live O's (Nvidia issue?):

I was wondering if there are any easy fixes to disable the nouveau drivers…

Yes, there is. Add to the boot line

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

The parameter completely excludes | disables | eliminates | removes nouveau from the started session.

• @just

I tried adding that to the boot arguments, however, I still seem to get a console cursor on boot. Does this mean its not a GPU issue? Hard to diagnose the problem when I can’t see anything

• @mattc said in Unable to boot into live O's (Nvidia issue?):

…Does this mean its not a GPU issue?..

I don’t know. It may or may not be GPU-related. I’m not familiar with Nvidia GTX 10xx series cards.

There are customized Antergos ISOs, made by @joekamprad some time ago. They were working for recent Nvidia 10xx cards. Their download URL may be found in forum posts.

Hard to diagnose the problem when I can’t see anything

That’s true.

• If needed I can build and provide a Nvidia enabled Antergos ISO (with Nvidia drivers and boot option) my last build is to old for all current changes, and will not be able to install system…

• @joekamprad If youd be willing to do that for me it would be greatly appreciated

@just Ok thanks for your help!

• @mattc i will, but will need some hours… i can try providing it inside next 8 hours ;)

• @joekamprad Awesome, thanks so much

• @mattc i get some problems building… will try it again at the moment :(

• @joekamprad

It worked :), thank you again!

boot271 nvidia152 unable70 live54 Posts 11Views 748
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.