• How to disable broken laptop DVD burner completely?

Hi

My laptop DVD burner is broken, it opens its tray randomly without any reason and no disc is recognized. Therefore I need to disable this device completely on my system. How to do it? Unfortunately my bios setup has no option to dissable such device.
    Thanks.

• You have a great opportunity to take it out and put the secondary ssd adapter. :)

0_1532642186825_5becd218-4efc-4f59-8953-cd0c59918d9d-image.png

• SSD is still expensive in my third world country.

I want just to disable my broken device for now.

• Also bios drive section is not having any options on DVD? can you gice name and model of your notebook, so we can do research with you.

• @joekamprad said in How to disable broken laptop DVD burner completely?:

Also bios drive section is not having any options on DVD? can you gice name and model of your notebook, so we can do research with you.

laptop is lenovo g400s touch.
    Thanks.

• I’m still looking for a solution to this problem…

• @Strangiato true there is no option in Bios, and it looks like there is no software sided task to do so… As the low level process of detecting drives is done by hardware itself not by kernel or similar…
    May it is possible to lock drive with:

sudo eject -i 1

• @Strangiato
    Have you updated the BIOS? I found this page: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/fi/en/downloads/DS118649
    but don’t take my word for it, check and double check that this is the correct BIOS for your machine.
    If the current BIOS is older, updating it just might provide some help.

• man eject:

-i, --manualeject on|off
                 This option controls locking of the hardware eject button.  When enabled, the drive will not be ejected when the button is pressed.  This is useful when you are carrying a laptop in  a  bag  or
                 case and don't want it to eject if the button is inadvertently pressed.
    ---
    -a, --auto on|off
                 This option controls the auto-eject mode, supported by some devices.  When enabled, the drive automatically ejects when the device is closed.

• drive can still be ejected even after the following command
    sudo eject -i on /dev/sr0

• if not solve, I had one problem two years ago I buy on ebay kapton adhesive tape and protect the contact of old drive its full disconected by mainboard.

Its cheap 5 bucks for 50m roll.

• @Strangiato

Hi, i use, modprobe.blacklist=floppy to disable floppy errors … yes i have an old pc.

So append this to grub should fix it.

modprobe.blacklist=sr_mod

If you want to list modules loaded in your system, do lsmod in a terminal.

• @loup001 said in How to disable broken laptop DVD burner completely?:

@Strangiato

Hi, i use, modprobe.blacklist=floppy to disable floppy errors … yes i have an old pc.

So append this to grub should fix it.

modprobe.blacklist=sr_mod

If you want to list modules loaded in your system, do lsmod in a terminal.

I have just blacklisted sr_mod.
    Now I need use the laptop for a few days to confirm that the problem is solved or not.

laptop51 broken33 disable20 dvd6 Posts 13Views 232
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.