• HDMI output broken after install

After installing antergos with KDE everything is working fine (as far as I can tell) except my HDMI monitor doesn’t work. Instead of rendering anything properly it displays whatever the first image that appears on it is but broken into lines with black lines in between.

Further info in replies to get around the spam filter…

• I have an nvidia GPU and I think it’s optimus (I got 2 lines following this) so I assumed the nouveau drivers just weren’t up to scratch and it was trying to render the HDMI with those.

• Installing the proprietary nvidia drivers with nvidia-installer made the OS unbootable (grub loaded, selecting antergos gave a black screen). Installing bumblebee (-b with nvidia-installer) had much the same effect. Attempting to revert to nouveau (-n with nvidia-installer) fixed this however once I logged in KDE Plasma froze on load and I could get no further (particularly strange because that’s exactly what I thought I had before when it worked).

• It’s possible that the drivers aren’t the issue at all but at this point I have no clue how to make my HDMI screen work.

Model: gigabyte P57v7
    CPU: intel i7-7700HQ
    GPU: nvidia geforce gtx 1070

I’ll add logs tomorrow because I’ll have to boot into non-graphical to get them.

• Journal logs here (it’s a .tar.gz) along with lspci output. I can run any more commands if necessary.

• Well I’ve fixed the HDMI output… now I can’t use the laptop screen XD.

The solution here of adding acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009" to the kernel parameters both allowed the reinstalled nouveau drivers to finish booting and the nvidia drivers to work at all.

Problem now is that the laptop screen and the intel drivers seem to have totally disappeared. Neither xrandr or xorg seem to acknowledge their existence. (They still work back in windows so they haven’t broken). The intel drivers are still installed too.

Is it possible to have the laptop screen driven by the intel and the HDMI screen driven by the nvidia? Do I need 2 X servers? Should I be using RandR 1.4’s “render with the nvidia and just dump the output into the intel’s buffer” thing? I’d rather use the intel for the laptop screen since I’ll be gaming mostly on the HDMI and I don’t want to use its resources on my second monitor too.

• If your hardware is actually Optimus, I’d give up on nouveau and try following this guide, if I were you: https://antergos.com/wiki/en/hardware/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus.

• @piotr thanks for the suggestion but I don’t think that’ll work.

I’ve used the nvidia-installer script which actually does exactly what that guide walks you through. Unfortunately bumblebee doesn’t support multiple screens since my HDMI is wired into the nvidia chip so that’s not really an option.

Also what I’ve got working now is with the proprietary nvidia driver and not nouveau, sorry if that was unclear.

I think 2 X servers is the way I want to go and I don’t mind if I can’t drag windows between them (I would never want a window spanning both anyway). Unfortunately I don’t have the required xorg.conf yet to work this out so guess I’ll be reading a lot of xorg docs tomorrow. Any help appreciated.

• @blimmo I was not aware of such hardware differences. For my hybrid graphics Bumblebee was enough to successfully expand desktop to the secondary display as placed right, left, above or below the primary one, and also to clone primary to secondary.

By the way: have you tried the nvidia-xrun script? I’ve just started my system this way, and switching displays works well, although fonts look a bit odd. Of course this would force your machine to use Nvidia all the time.

0_1532555062477_nvidia-xrun.png

• So I’ve found this guide (specifically the sections on hardware requirements and muxless laptops) and I don’t think I’ll be able to get my laptop working as I’d like (Windows 10 VM with GPU passthrough) because my laptop doesn’t have the requisite BIOS settings. So I’m giving up on antergos for now (I’ll try again with my next laptop).

Thanks for the suggestions @piotr. I’ll mark my solution for the initial problem as correct, and hopefully this thread will help others in the future :)

kde181 nvidia152 display50 hdmi17 Posts 10Views 437
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.