• Installation on eMMC, can it be done?

Hi! New to Antergos, not to Linux. I need to purchase a new laptop for general use, I do a fair bit of spreadsheet work, videos, entering data in databases. I love Linux, I had CrunchBang for years and ArchBang later on. I’ve tried Manjaro a few times, not a fan. From my research and a quick live preview, Antergos is going to provide me the OS experience I’m after.

I only have about $250 CAD to spend on a new laptop. I did a few searches on installing Antergos on Chromebooks and found that there were errors with the eMMC. These topics were a bit old so I’m just looking for some guidance on what kind of low-end laptop I can buy that will let me install Antergos with minimum issues. I’ve tried the Arch way in the past on VM but never got far, its not for me, I’m happier with a guided install.

This the laptop I’m considering:
    Lenovo Notebook 80YS0001CF Intel Braswell N3060
    HP Chromebook 14-ak041dx - 14" - Celeron N2840 - 4 GB RAM - 16 GB SSD - Google Chrome OS
    Or something similar, the HP Stream looks suitable for my needs too. I keep all my data on external hard drives.

I will not be dual-booting. If anyone can link me to a how-to, that would help as well.

Thank you in advance!!

• @jinxeddream
    Hello. While I don’t know about Antergos specifically, I do have a
    Chromebook (Lenovo 100s) with linux installed. The distribution I use on it is called GalliumOS, which is a port of Ubuntu specifically for Chrome hardware.

Even though you want to install Arch/Antergos I recommend looking at Gallium’s site because there is a list of Chromebook models they’ve tested and facts like whether or not you have to replace the Chromebook BIOS. I think Arch Wiki has some info too.

My Chromebook’s native BIOS could not boot any OSes other than Chrome so I had to replace it with Seabios, which was a bit of a hassle. It was a couple of years ago now, so I don’t remember which sites I found help on but I think there are links on the Gallium site that explain how to deal with it.

I’m assuming the eMMC problems you’ve read about have to do with booting. My Chromebook cannot boot non-Chrome OSes from the eMMC. I had to install the /boot partition on a flash drive (a tiny little SanDisk one).

I spent $150(American) on my Chromebook and was VERY UPSET when I found out how flaccid ChromeOS is and how Google went out of the way to prevent their customers from enjoying their hardware, and was pleasantly surprised after fixing it how nice the machine was for the price.

Some warnings:

• Expect driver issues. The only thing Gallium really does(to my knowledge) is make Ubuntu compatible with (specific) Chrome device models. The Antergos installer will not help you there so you’ll need to be motivated to troubleshoot the drivers yourself.
    • If you do need to flash the BIOS, you’ll need to open the laptop and remove a write-protect screw. I remember the first time I opened a laptop and it was intimidating. If you don’t have experience working with laptops I would recommend making sure the model you get won’t need its BIOS replaced.

I hope this helps. Also I should probably make clear I’m using Antergos on a different computer right now.

• I downloaded the latest version of Antergos ISO onto a USB stick and was able to install it on a 32Gig eMMC computer without issues. It recognized and configured the various partitions needed for:

• /boot
    • /
    • /mnt

Previously, I had tried with Arch Linux on another USB stick but had trouble getting past the partitioning stage.

After Antergos installed (it takes a while to download all the packages and go through the installation process. You’ll need a wired internet connection or working Wi-Fi for this), it booted up first time just fine.

• @minixuser
    What did it configure to /mnt ? :)

installation289 emmc5 Posts 4Views 254
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.