• Deepin Desktop Environment issues after July 2018 updates

Hi,

I recently (1-2 weeks ago) did a clean install of Antergos with the Deepin Desktop Environment and everything was working really nicely.

Around the 20th July, 2018, the Deepin packages were updated, and now my DDE is kind of messed up.

Issues:

When logging in, the screen goes blank for about 1 minute before the desktop is finally loaded. You see nothing but a black screen and the cursor. Right clicking doesn’t bring up a context menu, hot corners don’t work, but eventually the desktop will load. This happens every single time you try to log in. I’ve tried it 4-5 times and it’s happened on multiple machines that I have installed the Deepin Desktop on.

Fonts being used are not the ones I have selected. While the configuration panel lets me change the fonts, the windows and the dock do not use the fonts that I have selected. Even after changing the fonts and logging out and back in, the fonts do not change and are not using the ones I selected.

Icons are not the ones I selected. The icon set has been reset to what looks like the default icons, even though in the configuration panel the chosen icon set is the one I had updated to when I did the clean install. If I try to change the icon set, nothing happens. My configuration is basically ignored completely by Deepin.

I installed Cinnamon as an alternative and that seems to be working fine. I’m not sure what happened to Deepin with the latest update but it managed to mess up a perfectly clean installation that didn’t have much configuration done, just basic theme updates and configuration changes through the config panels.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I the only one? I really don’t want to have to do another clean install in case the same issues occur even with the clean install.

Thanks,

Tan

• 50% autoshortened:

Hi,

I recently (1-2 weeks ago) did a clean install of Antergos with the Deepin Desktop Environment and everything was working really nicely.

Around the 20th July, 2018, the Deepin packages were updated, and now my DDE is kind of messed up.

Issues:

When logging in, the screen goes blank for about 1 minute before the desktop is finally loaded. I’ve tried it 4-5 times and it’s happened on multiple machines that I have installed the Deepin Desktop on.

Fonts being used are not the ones I have selected. The icon set has been reset to what looks like the default icons, even though in the configuration panel the chosen icon set is the one I had updated to when I did the clean install. I’m not sure what happened to Deepin with the latest update but it managed to mess up a perfectly clean installation that didn’t have much configuration done, just basic theme updates and configuration changes through the config panels.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I the only one?

• Deepin is still under heavy development and sort of have a lot of changes at any time…

As i would say, if we do not have anyone maintaining it to get it working as it should, it would be better to remove ot from main installable DE’s. (IMPO)

• So I guess your suggestion is don’t use Deepin if you expect a stable desktop, as it’s not got any dedicated maintainers within the Antergos team and can break at any time.

Okay, back to Cinnamon we go. Many thanks.

• If you really like it I would have second DE installed, and I do not have all info, may @karasu and @keegan (he bring the implementation in, but go in the forest to build his own distro)

• Thanks @joekamprad for tagging me here! This is quite an interesting thread, at least to me :) . So basically, it happened like this:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away… (in other words, here on the forum last summer) I decided to try to bring Deepin to Antergos. So after a month or so of work with the amazing @developers here (specifically @karasu - he’s just fantastic!) I was able to produce what I called a “Community ISO” It had all the expirimental DEs enabled as well as a working Deepin DE option in the installer, Cnchi. However, time passed and I began to get a bit more advanced and took on more radical goals. I wished to change certain things in my own ISOs that just make Antergos, Antergos. Things such as the login manager (in my opinion Lightdm is pretty, but way too buggy. So instead in my distro I use SDDm - with a prety theme to mask its default ugliness of course) as well as installing a kernel manager by default, messing with virtually no system settings during the installation process (except for settings a wallpaper of course) and other things, such as adding more program options in the installer, several more DEs (as well as look-alikes. For instance, I offer the Apricity OS setup for GNOME as well as a Windows 10 look-alike for the Cinnamon DE - for all those WIndows lovers out there who want to try Linux) as well as other things. Anyways, as you can guess, these changes kind of change what Antergos is. As such, the devs told me that I really shouldn’t be changing such radical things in the installer. So for awhile, I didn’t. But eventually, I just couldn’t help myself - and now have my own distro. I still love Antergos, and often chat with the devs here even, but for now I have decided to try my hand at something that is truly mine. Someday perhaps I will come back, but for now I am enjoying learning new things and being able to put in the changes that I have always envisioned for Antergos.

So that’s my story, or at least the super short version. As for your issues you mentioned, I would suspect they might have been fixed by now through a more recent update of Deepin. Just a few hours ago, a huge wave of updates came through that I think, will have fixed things up for you.

Here’s hoping!

• Hello, I’m having the same problem still. Although I change the icon theme to Deepin and it gets changed in the desktop, when I open the file manager I still get the default Numix icons, no matter what icon theme I select in the Deepin panel. Is the only solution to install RebornOS?

• @getaceres
    Maybe you can try to remove qt5ct and its configs in

~/.config/qt5ct

That used to work with the icon change problems in Deepin.

• It made things worse. Now all icons are generic ones in the doc and the folder icons are missing and still I can’t change the theme no matter what I select.
    What I’ve found is that I get this strange behavior if I log-in through lightdm with the lightdm-deepin-greeter configuration. However if I log in with gdm I can change the icon theme and fonts look as they should in deepin programs (although I can’t configure them for GTK apps no matter what I select)

• I’m sorry to hear that, each Deepin update brings different problems with it. Have you looked on the Deepin forum, maybe they can help you further.

issues86 deepin65 environment9 july1 Posts 10Views 911
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.