• Location Service

I was wondering if there is a way to access the location service? I’m trying to use redshift, but it cannot run properly since geoclue2 cannot run.

I cannot seem to find a privacy option under settings.

• @thebacondaddy said in Location Service:

I’m trying to use redshift, but it cannot run properly since geoclue2 cannot run

Hi!

redshift runs out of the box here for my pc and notebook. Seems wise to find a way to make geoclue2 work, so first check what’s happening with the service

systemctl status geoclue.service
    you can also try to enable and start it

sudo systemctl start geoclue.service
    sudo systemctl enable geoclue.service

• I think I remember running across this issue myself when I first installed Redshift about a year ago actually…

I could be wrong here, but I think it involves a special command. Here’s one I just found on the web that looks right, depending on your location in the world: redshift -l 55.7:12.6 -t 5700:3600. My guess is -l is location and -t is time, but I could be mistaken.

Looking it up now!

• Found some online instructions! (For Ubuntu though, however it mostly applies to Antergos still)

https://linoxide.com/tools/install-use-redshift-ubuntu-16-04/

Just skip to the section, “Configuring Redshift” ;) . And sadly, Arch does not provide the GTK application. However, the good news is that that article I linked to above offers easy, clear, and simple instructions on how to do the same thing from your terminal :) .

Good luck, and God bless!

• @fernandomaroto

Hi thanks for the reply back. So when I check to see if geoclue is active or not it says that it’s inactive. Therefore, from that I thought I should try to enable it, but get shot back with this.

The unit files have no installation config (WantedBy, RequiredBy, Also, Alias
    settings in the [Install] section, and DefaultInstance for template units).
    This means they are not meant to be enabled using systemctl.
    Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:

1. A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit’s
      .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
    2. A unit’s purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
      a requirement dependency on it.
    3. A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
      D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, …).
    4. In case of template units, the unit is meant to be enabled with some
      instance name specified.
  • @keegan

Hi, awesome, I’ll check this out!

Thank you, for providing me the info and looking up how to configure it for me!

Hopefully it works haha :)

• @thebacondaddy

Hi!

I updated my system yesterday and today redshift also stopped working here, I get this error message

0_1531926211831_Screenshot_1.png

Let’s wait for an update or for more info…

• @fernandomaroto

I just downgraded geoclue2 to version 2.4.7-1 and it’s working again… I’ll wait for a new version now or a fix :)

• Hey there guys! This thread really peaked my interest (hey, nice name by the way @TheBaconDaddy . That’s what actually made me decide to check this out I think 😆 ). Anyways, this issue was intruguing me, so I compiled an Arch version of the GUI for Redshift myself :) . Here’s the link to the package!

https://repo.itmettke.de/Reborn-OS/redshiftgui-0.2.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

P.S. If you’re interested in more things like that (such as an appstore for installing thousands of world-wide themes with the push of a button, configuring Mycroft - an Open Source, privacy-centric AI on your computer, or even a nice Kernel Manager, simply add my repository to your system! If this intrests you, just say something! I can post the instructions here then :) .

• This post is deleted!
  • @thebacondaddy Did you try to add following lines to geoclue2 configuration file (placed in location: /etc/geoclue):

[redshift]
    allowed=true
    system=false
    users=

I met error like this: “Unable to start GeoClue client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Access denied.” and above helped me. After restart error disappeared.

• i already have that in my geoclue config and redshift is still throwing the errors shrugs

• @fernandomaroto

Hi, sorry for the late reply, and yes that what happens to me as well. Glad I’m not the only one ahahh.

• @keegan

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I’ll try this out thank you so much for compiling something!

hey, nice name by the way

hahah, thank you.

• @piomiq

I have not, but I’ll try this out.

Thank you for the suggestion!

• @keegan

or even a nice Kernel Manager, simply add my repository to your system! If this intrests you, just say something! I can post the instructions here then

Sorry for the double reply, but yes I’m interested. If you don’t mind, can you send me instructions please?

• Great! I didn’t want to post them unless I knew someone wanted them, out of respect for Antergos. Because technically, my repository is for my own OS I develop, Reborn OS. And since this is the Antergos forum, I didn’t want to needlessly plaster Reborn OS stuff around here unless I knew it might be able to help you for sure :) . I’m finishing something up at the moment, but I’ll write up the instructions soon!

Thanks!

• @keegan You’re a life saver.

• @thebacondaddy said in Location Service:

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I’ll try this out thank you so much for compiling something!

Of course! It was a fun challenge actually :) . I’m glad you gave me the idea! Plus, now I can integrate that into my own distro as well… oooh… ideas. They never cease. Anways, about the instructions. So here they are!

1. Open pacman.conf by issuing this command into your terminal:
      sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

2. Add these lines to the very end of this file:

[Reborn-OS]
    Server = http://repo.itmettke.de/Reborn-OS/

1. Save the file by using these keyboard shortcuts: CTRL + X , then ‘y’ (as in “yes”), and lastly ENTER .

2. Lastly, refresh your databases in order see this newly added repository:
      sudo pacman -Syy

And you’re all done! Hope this can help :) . And if you have ANY difficulty or questions about this, just post a message! I’d be more than happy to help :) .

P.S. Sorry about the late reply here, I got unexpectedly busy over the last day or so. Thanks for the understanding and patience!

• @keegan I added the Reborn-OS repo and tried to add the Redshift application and received an error. Was that what I was supposed to install?

service15 location5 Posts 29Views 1297
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.