• Virtualbox Installation

I have full updated system and following the install wiki
    https://antergos.com/wiki/system-admin/virtualization/how-to-install-virtualbox/

However, when I get to the part

sudo systemctl enable vboxservice

it says
    Failed to enable unit: Unit file vboxservice.service does not exist.

Ok, now during a reboot load screen yelling at me in Red to check

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load
    ● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-07-15 18:28:58 EDT; 13min ago
         Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
               man:modules-load.d(5)
      Process: 460 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 460 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
    Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd-modules-load[460]: Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
    Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd-modules-load[460]: Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
    Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd-modules-load[460]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
    Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd-modules-load[460]: Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'
    Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, sta>
    Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jul 15 18:28:58 beholder systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

So that’s where I’m at with it, idk if there is an update needed to wiki or not but it says it was just done in May so idk, just asking.

Also, does virtualbox-guest-modules-arch need installed as well?
    I seem to remember having to have host and guest in, but it’s been awhile since I’ve used it so I can’t remember.

• depmod -a
    may also need to do modprobe vboxdrv
    have a look at the very well known arch wiki. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Installation_steps_for_Arch_Linux_hosts
    perhaps you can also post the output of the following information:
    modinfo vboxsf
    along with your uname -mrs
    your modules and your kernal have to MATCH. Cannot be different.
    you say that you updated/upgraded so I would rule out a partial upgrade problem.
    unless you didn’t upgrade with pacman -Syu
    Also, did you deal promptly with upgraded config files?

• It’s installed, yet there’s stuff missing it would seem

$ depmod -a
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.dep.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.dep.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.alias.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.alias.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.softdep.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.symbols.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.symbols.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.builtin.bin.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied
    depmod: ERROR: openat(/lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts, modules.devname.tmp, 1101, 644): Permission denied

$ modprobe vboxdrv
    modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.55-1-lts

$ modinfo vboxsf
    modinfo: ERROR: Module vboxsf not found.

$ uname -mrs
    Linux 4.14.55-1-lts x86_64

• @firespray
    This might provide some help:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/9319/how-to-install-virtualbox

With the linux-lts, you need to use the dkms versions.

• AH! Thankyou @manuel That’s something the wiki was leaving out for Linux-LTS was use dkm’s.

Now, It runs and am using it now but at machine boot on screen it still says
    kernenal modual failed to load

$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load
    ● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-07-16 18:03:09 EDT; 30min ago
         Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
               man:modules-load.d(5)
      Process: 448 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 448 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 16 18:03:07 beholder systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
    Jul 16 18:03:08 beholder systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, sta>
    Jul 16 18:03:08 beholder systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jul 16 18:03:08 beholder systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
    Jul 16 18:03:09 beholder systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
    Jul 16 18:03:09 beholder systemd-modules-load[448]: Failed to insert 'vboxguest': No such device
    Jul 16 18:03:09 beholder systemd-modules-load[448]: Failed to insert 'vboxsf': No such device
    Jul 16 18:03:09 beholder systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, sta>
    Jul 16 18:03:09 beholder systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jul 16 18:03:09 beholder systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

@joekamprad
    and vboxservice from this wiki still does not exist
    https://antergos.com/wiki/system-admin/virtualization/how-to-install-virtualbox/

$ sudo systemctl enable vboxservice

This is why I was asking if there might be some particulars that’s getting missed
    in the wiki since maybe it’s only half working with the kernal.
    idk just guessing.

• @firespray said in Virtualbox Installation:

$ sudo systemctl enable vboxservice

The service no longer comes with virtualbox install, yet the command still works even after showing you that error.

For example you can try sudo systemctl start vboxservice and it will probably work even if that shows you errors.

AFAIK some virtualbox stuff is coming along with newest linux kernels, which may explain why it works. Even so you need to install all packages properly like @manuel guided you.

• AH @fernandomaroto interesting information, yup got it running then my stuff went haywire, so now I’m over here and gotta fix this first
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10298/grub-loader-reinstall-help/2#

• pacman -Qo /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxservice.service
    /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxservice.service is owned by virtualbox-guest-utils 5.2.14-1

• I only included you joe so you could see what was going on and did some on the wiki and might know something since the install is putting in kernal errors.

I’ll mess with it a couple more times as I need it to install Warcraft3 …I’ve given up trying to run it in wine since it keeps blowing me crap lol

Anyway, as fernando said if some virtualbox stuff is is in the new kernals and causing the errors on my machine when I boot, it slows the pc down so I may have to wait unless theres a trick to getting it to work right.

• @firespray i do not create the wiki entry, it is an error from the wiki software that the last editor is pasted as creator on topping…

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10209/kernel-4-17-problems-in-virtualbox/15
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/virtualbox-guest-additions-linux-kernel

• Ah ok, well just came back to mark solved.

I’ve got it working with no errors at boot.

I think it was installing the guest-dkms that wasn’t needed, just host-dkms.

installation289 virtualbox38 Posts 11Views 834
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.