• System booting into maintenance mode after upgrade

So, I did a system upgrade through yaourt and because I noticed one of the upgraded packages were the nvidia driver and the linux kernel, I rebooted the system. However, when Antergos was booting up again, I briefly glimpsed an error saying “Failed to mount /home”, before the screen cleared and the system entered maintenance mode. This was in terminal mode, as the X server did not start at all.

At this point, I could only enter the root password or press Control-D. By chance, I discovered I could bring back my display manager, LightDM, by typing in the root password and then typing “exit”, to log out. This brought back LightDM and I can log in normally, but I have to go through this process each time, which is rather cumbersome.

Also worth noting is that my laptop contains an nVidia Optimus card, so I use programs like primusrun heavily. After the upgrade, I cannot run primusrun at all. It just segfaults and exits no matter what I try to run it with. Optirun, however, seems to work fine.

I’m not really sure where the problem lies, so I would appreciate any assistance or pointers in the right direction. I’m running Antergos with the XFCE desktop with an nvidia Optimus card, as mentioned earlier.

Here are my logs, if they are of any help:

I am, of course, happy to provide additional logs and information. Problem is, I don’t know which ones are pertinent to this issue.

• @onlooker said in System booting into maintenance mode after upgrade:

So, I did a system upgrade through yaourt

We started badly, it’s not good to update under yaourt, which can be clear, but please always update with pacman -Syu is the correct and logical way. ☺

• Duly noted, thanks. I was not aware that upgrading via yaourt is bad practice. Was this problem caused by yaourt?

• Same happens to me in my Antergos/KDE and I updated with pamac. After introducing root password and exit sddm boots and system seems to work ok but every reboot y have a emergency boot mode.

Hope an update fixes it.

Regards, folgui.

• Upon looking into this I found a few updates I can see as possible culprits. It should be noted that I know very little about the inner workings of any of these packages and am listing ones I see as possibly having something to do with the handling of fstab which I gather might be part of the issue as that appeared to be the culprit in older appearances of this issue (by that I mean it happened when people touched their fstab file).

device-mapper (2.02.177-5 -> 2.02.179-1) linux (4.17.4-1 -> 4.17.5-1) lvm2 (2.02.177-5 -> 2.02.179-1) xfsprogs (4.16.1-1 -> 4.17.0-1)

• https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab#Automount_with_systemd

Here my /etc/fstab:

$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /dev/sdb2
    UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXXX	    /         	ext4      	defaults,rw,relatime,exec,auto,async   	0 1

# /dev/sdb1
    UUID=XXXXXXXXXXX      	/boot/efi 	vfat    defaults,rw,relatime 0 0

# /dev/sda1
    UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX	/home     	xfs       	defaults,rw,relatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount    0 2

Test and see what happens, but it works to return the fstab to its previous state.

Cheers!

• Thank you, judd! As mentioned in the thread within the thread you posted, the problem seems to be lvm2, at least for me.

After downgrading it to a previous version, the system no longer boots in emergency mode. Hopefully, lvm2 will have an update soon to fix this issue. Marking as solved.

system116 upgrade69 booting42 maintenance1 Posts 8Views 535
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.