• Change username at login screen or how to enable root auto-login?

Please skip over any warnings about the dangers of what I’m asking :)

When I boot up Antergos, I click the clock, (my name is already there and I can’t change it) and type my password and away I go.

What do I need to do to change things so it defaults to ‘root’ as the username? What I’m aiming for is when Antergos boots, it either auto-logs in as root or I type ‘root’ for the username and root’s password and I can log in, as root.

In case it helps, this is a fresh install. I picked the Cinnamon desktop and made no other changes.

Thanks

• @roadhazard said in Change username at login screen or how to enable root auto-login?:

…What I’m aiming for is when Antergos boots, it either auto-logs in as root or I type ‘root’ for the username and root’s password and I can log in, as root.

Do you need a GUI (a running DE), or bash shell is enough for doing what you’re going to do?

If you’re comfortable with bash, I can explain how to login and work as root in the pure bash shell. Without dbus, systemd, network and GUI.

• @RoadHazard
    A lots of GUI based programs it just locked by design to NOT run as root;
    Messing with file permissions will render a dead system as it seems your not familiar with *nix based systems;
    Not being a programmer, any copy/paste script can be a hook to well deigned malware turning your rig a zombie for some botnet or mining cryptocurrency for someone else;

As @just said it’s feasible but be prepared to be a Bear Grylls for your rig as everything can go wrong depending on your knowledge level of *nix based programs.

• Not sure if this will help but have you considered sudo NOPASSWD entries.
    You’d still have prefix commands with sudo, but will not be prompted for password.

• @just @Edwin-Foss @BlaiseD

Thanks for responding but I figured out how to accomplish my goal via the chown/chmod/chgrp commands and no longer need to log in as root.

Good to go now! :)

login117 root23 enable11 username2 Posts 5Views 374
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.