• Continuous loop during live media launch

Hello All

I came across Antergos after using many other distros (Arch, Manjaro, LMDE, SolydXK etc.) I decided to download the latest ISO to see if this would become the distro i’m looking for. The live DVD seems to boot ok but during the scripting on startup It gets stuck between “starting Login Manager” and “starting LightDM” it fails an awful lot but then appears to start at which point i’m presented with a blank screen for around a minute only to return back to scripting and the loop begins again.

Does anyone have any ideas on a way through this? To save me having to list my laptop specs I have a Samsung RF711 laptop.

Any help is much appreciated.

regards

• Hello All

I came across Antergos after using many other distros (Arch, Manjaro, LMDE, SolydXK etc.) I decided to download the latest ISO to see if this would become the distro i’m looking for. The live DVD seems to boot ok but during the scripting on startup It gets stuck between “starting Login Manager” and “starting LightDM” it fails an awful lot but then appears to start at which point i’m presented with a blank screen for around a minute only to return back to scripting and the loop begins again.

Does anyone have any ideas on a way through this? To save me having to list my laptop specs I have a Samsung RF711 laptop.

Any help is much appreciated.

regards

• Hi, have you tried the live CD on a different computer to see if the problem is with the live media or your laptop?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Hi, thank you for the quick response, I will try on a different computer this evening and report my findings.

• The ISO worked on a different machine so it must be an incompatibility with my laptop. Manjaro seems to load into live media ok but i cant get Antergos to work. any ideas?

Is there going to be a July ISO?

• I am new to Antergos & Arch myself, so you had better wait to get an answer from the more experienced ones. I would personally try the hardware compatibility tool which is in the iso startup page.
    It would also be useful if you could post the specs of your laptop (make &model, hardware, etc). I suspect the problem lies with your graphicals card…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• LightDM seems to be the issue with my laptop. Is the ISO available with any other Desktop Manager?

• Ok, I’m on the verge of giving up. I have tried to load this ISO multiple times and always fall down at the login service and LightDM. I’m nearly certain it is LightDM causing the issue. I have an Nvidia Optimus laptop (Intel® HD Graphics 3000 & Nvidia GeForce GT 540m). Does anybody have a suggestion as to what I can do? I love the look of this distro and really want to test it out. Is there a text based installer or an ISO that uses an alternative to LightDM?

I’m getting pretty desperate here so any help is much appreciated.

regards

• Hi,

Sorry about the trouble you are experiencing. It sounds like its graphics driver related. It is highly unlikely that lightdm is causing your issue.Are you able to switch VT’s (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and get to a login prompt? If no, what about when adding this to the boot command:[code:dk17l6pj]systemd.unit=multi-user.target[/code:dk17l6pj]

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Thank you for your response. If I switch VT the loop just continues in the new VT. Unfortunately, I am not able to get a prompt at all during the process.

• Okay, what about with the kernel command I mentioned? (just start typing once the silver boot menu appears)

Cheers!

• That has got me to a login prompt.

• Okay good, now log in as root (there is no password). Edit the lightdm config file using nano:

nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Find this line:

and change it to this:

Save the changes and exit (Ctrl+o +Ctrl + x). Next switch to a new VT (so you can go back to the first one if needed). On the new VT, log in and run:

systemctl isolate graphical.target

Now hopefully you will then end up at the GNOME desktop. If that’s not the case, you will be able to grab the logs to see what is causing the error using the commands listed on this post: [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1877&hilit=+journal+log#p8548][0]">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1877&hilit=+journal+log#p8548

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=

Posts 13Views 2300