• Install alongside Windows 8.1

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I seem to find conflicting answers on other distro’s forums when googling, so here goes. Please be gentle

I run Windows 8.1 on a quadcore i5. There are two drives; an ssd entirely devoted to the Windows installation, and a 2tb storage drive that happens to have a partition on which I would like to install Antergos. Now, can I just simply go ahead with the installation and it will grant me the option to choose between the Windows installation and the Linux installation on boot, or do I need to go in the UEFI menu and fiddle with secure boot and such? The last part is where I get conflicting messages when googling and trying to make sure the installation is safe, and I don’t end up not being able to boot into my work environment, which would be bad.

Thanks for the patience, and hope someone can offer some insight.

– Glenn

• Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I seem to find conflicting answers on other distro’s forums when googling, so here goes. Please be gentle

I run Windows 8.1 on a quadcore i5. There are two drives; an ssd entirely devoted to the Windows installation, and a 2tb storage drive that happens to have a partition on which I would like to install Antergos. Now, can I just simply go ahead with the installation and it will grant me the option to choose between the Windows installation and the Linux installation on boot, or do I need to go in the UEFI menu and fiddle with secure boot and such? The last part is where I get conflicting messages when googling and trying to make sure the installation is safe, and I don’t end up not being able to boot into my work environment, which would be bad.

Thanks for the patience, and hope someone can offer some insight.

– Glenn

• @“glennlunder”:3mus28gi said:

can I just simply go ahead with the installation and it will grant me the option to choose between the Windows installation and the Linux installation on boot[/quote:3mus28gi]This is how it should work 100% of the time. HOWEVER, the reality is that it will depend on your system (manufacturer, motherboard model, etc). The only way to find out it to try to boot without changing any UEFI stuff. If it doesnt work, then you’ll need to fiddle with the settings on your UEFI system. Let me know how it goes…

Best Regards,
    Dustin

Posts 3Views 858