• Kernel 4.17 problems in VirtualBox

Hi,

it seems that kernel 4.17 (at least .2 and .3) have freezing problems in VirtualBox.
    The apps seem to freeze very often, right from the beginning of a session.

I checked that the same problem exists also with Arch and Manjaro VMs.

Kernel 4.14 has (so far) no similar problems.

• yes a lot problems with latest kernel, i am on LTS till next one, virtualbox is working lot better with LTS, i got also some Mouse Problems with latest kernel inside virtualbox… mouse dissapear and do not work or it only get left clicks…

• I have to delay new portergos release, waiting for a new kernel here…

• Problems with the Virtualbox interface are also related to the kernel?
    alt text

• @tuxnot i do not think so… but interface has changed, before there was buttons now only a dropdown menu…

• Isn’t Virtualbox now integrated in the kernel, so therefore also has interface problems now? At least, that’s what I assumed.

• https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/virtualbox-guest-additions-linux-kernel

So may there is nothing wrong, but we do not need to load this manually anymore…

• @bryanpwo said in Kernel 4.17 problems in VirtualBox:

Isn’t Virtualbox now integrated in the kernel, so therefore also has interface problems now? At least, that’s what I assumed.

Wow, that’s awesome! So we’re in a transition time, bugs expected and fixes soon…

• Hi

Yesterday pacman offered me to upgrade to 4.17.3-1. Has the Virtualbox incompatibility problem been solved or is it more advisable to keep this upgrade on hold?

• @roger64 I would install LTS Kernel and stay up to date.
    With LTS virtual box works as it should.

• @roger64
    It doesn’t solve it, but if kernel 4.17 didn’t break your entire system before, there’s no need to keep it on hold. Except for the virtualbox bug, kernel 4.17 runs smooth over here. No touchpad, wifi or booting problems, so if you’re also belonging to those lucky ones, just upgrade it.

• Thank you both. Update to 4.17.3-1 has been done.

Virtualbox works nicely with my two VMs.

• New version of Virtualbox, but the interface has not been corrected. Does everyone have such an interface?

• @roger64 said in Kernel 4.17 problems in VirtualBox:

Thank you both. Update to 4.17.3-1 has been done.

Virtualbox works nicely with my two VMs.

that’s great news! I haven’t tested yet…

New version of Virtualbox, but the interface has not been corrected. Does everyone have such an interface?

I also hope for a fix. There isn’t a quick buttom to start a VM anymore :(

• Yea now only a cascading drop-down menu…

kernel127 virtualbox39 4.171 Posts 15Views 1371
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.