• Reinstall packages default KDE on DE KDE

Hi!
    Faced problems with dependencies kde. As a result, some packages have been removed, some later installed. I expect that some packages are now missing (Folder View does not change). Which packets of KDE are included by default in Anergos KDE?

• @tuxnot said in Reinstall packages default KDE on DE KDE:

…Which packets of KDE are included by default in Anergos KDE?

Kde-specific pkgs in Antergos are installed by antergos-kde-meta meta package. The full list of pkgs which antergos-kde-meta depends on may be seen in GitHub here.

The easiest way to install missing Kde pkgs in Antergos is to re-install antergos-kde-meta:

sudo pacman -Syu antergos-kde-meta

• Antergos comes with some tools that I don’t need. Trying to uninstall them displays a message that antergos KDE meta will be removed too.

Is it safe to uninstall these tools along with KDE meta and then just reinstall meta again?

Really want to get rid of Clementine, k3b, some crappy messenger and other bloatware

• @toxpal said in Reinstall packages default KDE on DE KDE:

Antergos comes with some tools that I don’t need. Trying to uninstall them displays a message that antergos KDE meta will be removed too.

This is normal. Meta packages and their dependencies together create a monolithic structure. Without some specific pacman’s options it is not easy to remove one without another.

Is it safe to uninstall these tools along with KDE meta…

Yes, it is. It will be up to user to maintain system’s integrity. In Antergos this goal is achieved by meta packages.

…and then just reinstall meta again?

When meta package is installed, all packages it depends on will be also installed. This is a primary goal of a meta package.

You may remove any package you don’t need, as well as meta package itself, but if youre-install meta package later, all removed packages will be installed again.

Really want to get rid of Clementine, k3b, some crappy messenger and other bloatware

Just remove meta package without its dependencies. After that, you’ll be able to do whatever you want with the system, remove or add any package you wish.

• @just Thanks. It turns out the problem is different, because in the new user works fine. But I’m not comfortable with switching to a new user, because there’s a lot of things. I should probably delete the configuration file for this widget. Do you happen to know which file?
    alt text

• @tuxnot said in Reinstall packages default KDE on DE KDE:

…I should probably delete the configuration file for this widget. Do you happen to know which file?

I’m not sure what problem(s) you’re talking about.

Your picture simply says that the desktop layout cannot be changed because widgets are locked. Simply unlocks widgets, and modify the desktop as you wish. Why delete some configuartion files?

Widgets may be freely locked and unlocked by a user. Right click somewhere on empty space on the panel and select lock | unlock widgets from the popup menu.

It has no relation to missing Kde packages or meta packages.

• @just said in Reinstall packages default KDE on DE KDE:

…Simply unlocks widgets,…

Simply unlock widgets

Just remove meta package without its dependencies. After that, you’ll be able to do whatever you want with the system, remove or add any package you wish.

If I understand it right, my steps are:

1. Remove antergos-kde-meta from system
    2. Remove unwanted apps that were bundled with antergos
    3. Install antergos-kde-meta again

As a result, the system will be fully functional, just without bloat?

1. Remove antergos-kde-meta from system

Right. With smth like sudo pacman -Rdd antergos-kde-meta

1. Remove unwanted apps that were bundled with antergos

Right. Throw away all unneeded stuff.

1. Install antergos-kde-meta again

Wrong. Do not install antergos-kde-meta again. Otherwise, it will also install all previously removed packages. The system must remain without antergos-kde-meta, if you want to manage it as you prefer.

• I see. But will my system will be fully functional? I really wouldn’t like to have a system that has some features disabled/working incorrectly.

…But will my system will be fully functional?..

It will depend on your Arch skills.

A meta package itself doesn’t - repeat, does not - contain any software at all. It just puts together other packages, which do contain a real software.

Imagine a puzzle game, which you can buy in a supermarket or other shops. Meta package is like a box, which holds all pieces of a puzzle. You do not need the box itself to solve the puzzle. You need only puzzle pieces (packages) to find a solution.

If you decide that some pieces (packages) are useless and unneeded, you may throw them away. There’s nothing wrong with it. But if you return to a supermarket to buy the same puzzle again, you’ll get the box with all original pieces in it.

Meta package = a box with pieces of a puzzle
    Puzzle pieces = packages

It will depend on your Arch skills.

That doesn’t sound very exciting. In other words, it makes me think that system will operate (slightly) differently after meta removal…

So I’ll re-phrase my questions - what changes I can expect after performing this operation, when compared to “original” antergos KDE? Not to mention that some bundled apps will be unavailable (which is a welcome change, obviously)

• @toxpal if you remove the meta package it is only that if Antergos changing something on its KDE setup to fit changes or dependencies, you wound get this updates, as they are shipped with the meta package, so you will need to solve thouse issues on your own ;)

Second is that after remove meta package the “puzzle” of KDE setup is not holded together anymore so it will not warn you if you accidently remove kde itself, only dependencies of each solo package are still intact.

• Thanks, that’s super-clear and informative! So I’ll better live with unwanted apps for now to avoid potential issues in future.

A slightly different but related question - antergos OS is a rolling release. Let’s say that at some point antergos devs choose not to bundle some software (for example, k3b because really… the last time I saw a desktop computer with CD or DVD drive was 10 years ago) by default. When user installs this update, will he be able to remove k3b (as per example) from his system freely on new version, or it will be stuck forever (because it was bundled during OS installation)?

…it makes me think that system will operate (slightly) differently after meta removal…

Meta package(s) presence or absence doesn’t change anything in system’s functionality - because meta package(s) don’t contain any real software. Meta packages are absolutely useless from the functional point of view. They don’t add anything to a working system.

Meta package(s) are of great help in keeping system’s integrity for users with less Arch skills. They take care of installing, removing, upgrading various packages and their dependencies automagically, without requiring any attention from a user’s side.

Without meta pakage(s) a user must think about these things of his own.

Meta package(s) give a rigid, hardly modificable, automatically maintained system, which require a minimal attention from a user.

Meta package is a golden cage. It looks beautiful, but it’s a cage. You aren’t free to go where you want.

Thanks, that’s super-clear and informative! So I’ll better live with unwanted apps for now to avoid potential issues in future.

A slightly different but related question - antergos OS is a rolling release. Let’s say that at some point antergos devs choose not to bundle some software (for example, k3b because really… the last time I saw a desktop computer with CD or DVD drive was 10 years ago) by default. When user installs this update, will he be able to remove k3b (as per example) from his system freely on new version, or it will be stuck forever (because it was bundled during OS installation)?

interesting question…

kde184 reinstall7 Posts 16Views 959
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.