• Testing Wayland from Live USB

Hi,

I’m thinking of migrating to Antergos but I need to first test Wayland and multiple monitors (I’m currently using Ubuntu on a Dell XPS laptop and the 4K screen does not play well with my external monitor under Unity).

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to test this using the Live boot from USB version. LightDM autologins the antergos user so I can’t even experiment with choosing the different desktop options at the login screen. I’ve also read I might need to switch to GDM.

Can someone advise the proper way to use Wayland from the Live environment?

Thanks,
    Fran

• @flyerguymn
    Hi!
    That’s an interesting post. I always assumed Antergos iso used wayland, but i just check and is running X11.

You can test it too typing the comand echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE inside a terminal.

I don’t know to to change that with lightdm in the iso though.

• @flyerguymn Try this, the selected answer might work. I can’t test it fully since wayland doesn’t work in a virtual machine apparently and I only have access to my W10 laptop right now.

• @fernandomaroto Thanks, that suggestion did get me closer. I had to install the weston and xorg-xwayland (not exact name) packages to get that command to work. Once I did, it launched a desktop but I could not get a terminal to verify that it was a wayland session (the terminal would act like it was launching but no window would appear). Same is true about all other software - no windows would ever appear. The display settings dialog would open, but the contents of the dialog were empty.

• @flyerguymn you can also install the gnome group and only install the gnome-shell and stuff minimal stuff if it will let you. I know the live install is running on gnome so this suggestion probably strange and probably will do nothing lol

• @flyerguymn said in Testing Wayland from Live USB:

I had to install the weston and xorg-xwayland

Ok, weston is like a showcase for wayland, so if you didn’t create a config file for weston it basically won’t show you anything.

You’ll need to create ~/.config/weston.ini with some of these configs https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland#Configuration

The complete one will give you a panel with some aditional icons (which may or not work since they can be installed in Antergos iso or not)

lightdm126 wayland48 live usb10 Posts 6Views 334
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.