• Antergos not start

Hello everyone, firstly sorry for my bad English :/

i’didnt update my Antergos along time (maybe 3 month), but yesterday i gone to update and i hit apply its 1.3 GB, when the update go to half, the electricity turn off and my laptop turn off too.
    when i turn on my laptop i see this and the system dont start:
    0_1529688426532_35923311_462593344164202_6074977231531147264_n.jpg

how can i fix this? :/

please if you can explain to me with simple english if you can.
    thanks.

• simple is my second name ;)

a not completed update, is a bad thing… but if you can get to TTY (non graphical login) try pressing
    [ctrl+alt+F2] if you get a login text, login with username and password, then you can complete the update from CLI with:
    sudo pacman -Syu
    best would be if you have wired internet connection, as it can be that wireless is not connected .

• but it looks like system is started, and only graphical environment is not started caused by a problem with GPU driver, may not updated ( failed to start light display manager = the loginscreen)

to make sure you can boot again to desktop environment after the update, you can also rebuild the kernel image:

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

then reboot

• @hezha said in Antergos not start:

the electricity turn off and my laptop turn off too.
    how can i fix this? :/

The laptop lost all power (including battery?) and turned off in the middle of updating, causing essential files to get corrupted by the improper power down.

This has happened to me once and the only solution I found was to totally re-install the Operating System from scratch. There are probable too many things gone wrong to try and manually fix with a rescue disk or USB drive. It would be far faster to re-install Antergos.

My suggestion would be to use a LIVE Antergos USB drive and try to salvage as much data as possible, re-install Antergos, then obtain a UPS (Uniterruptable Power Source) to plug your computer into. A UPS would have prevented this from happening.

• @pudge i would not say it is that bad… archlinux is a very very robust system… and as we can see system starts just fine… only a problem with getting x started… no kernel panic …

• @joekamprad said in Antergos not start:

@pudge i would not say it is that bad… archlinux is a very very robust system… and as we can see system starts just fine… only a problem with getting x started… no kernel panic …

When I started composing my reply, your replies were not there yet. While I had the editor open I was trying to think of a good way out of this. I didn’t come up with any. In the mean time, right off the top of your head, you came up with a very plausible course of action. I’m impressed, you know your Linux.👍

I’m interested to see how this comes out.

• @joekamprad thanks very much, i tried it but not work, do you have another solution?

• @pudge thanks. but i’dont want to lose my files with reinstalling :/ do you have any idea to reinstalling without losing my files, for exmaple my history and bookmarks from firefox?? i dual booted antergos with windows

• you can access files also from windows: https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
    or you will need to start with live iso and copy needed files to a external drive…

But i was interested what do not work exactly? no login at tty2? or no internet connection possible?

• @joekamprad but what can i do with this program to fix this?

tty2 work and i can update everything the internet work, but when i turn on my computer after hitting antergos i see this:
    0_1529705738798_35923311_462593344164202_6074977231531147264_n.jpg

• what graphics GPU are inside the notebook?

• the programm i give the link is to make the linux drive aviable to read under windows, so you can getyour files saved, if you need to reinstall

@pudge thanks. but i’dont want to lose my files with reinstalling :/ do you have any idea to reinstalling without losing my files, for exmaple my history and bookmarks from firefox?? i dual booted antergos with windows

joekamorad might still have an ace or two up his sleeve (sorry use of a colloquialism) that might get it back up and running. So don’t give up on that yet.
    But IF it comes to reinstalling, Firefox bookmarks are in the following file:
    /home/don/.mozilla/firefox/kfx1zexg.default/places.sqlite
    History is in various files in the following directory
    /home/don/.cache/mozilla/firefox/kfx1zexg.default

Again, if reinstalling becomes necessary, the easiest way would be to boot the computer from an Antergos Live USB stick and save data to yet another USB stick or an external drive of some sort.

The best way would be to save the entire contents of your home directory to an external drive or USB stick. Your home directory has all your app’s configurations stored in dotdirectories.
    Thus you would be saving history from the .cache directory, firefox settings, bookmarks and etc from the .mozilla directory, your Music, Documents, Picture and other default directories, etc. Unless you are doing something out of the ordinary, your data files and the vast amount of configuration files should be in your home directory.

Then immediately after you reinstall the OS, copy all the files in your home directory backup to the new home directory. If it says that .mozilla directory already exists, tell it to replace it with backup file. Same for other directories. If all goes well, you should be very close to being as before.

i dual booted antergos with windows

I forgot to address that problem.
    First step before doing ANYTHING else, back up your data from your Windows install.

You have two hurdles to get over IF you have to reinstall:
    1 Enabling a method to save your Linux data
    2 Get Antergos Linux reinstalled without messing up Windows.

I stopped dual booting long ago because of the problems it presents. Unless improvements have been made in dual booting since then, #2 could be a problem. Which is exactly why joekamprad’s suggestions are important to try first.

Posts 14Views 554
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.