• New User

Greetings to all Antergos users! Recently i started looking to true rolling release distributions, after using Debian stable and Ubuntu releases. I’m thinking of switching to Arch and been looking to several distros - pure Arch, Antergos and Manjaro to name a few. When i ran the live USB of Antergos, i was amazed by the speed and whole look of both the distribution and Gnome 3. My question, is Antergos (and Arch) more difficult than Debian, i know it is different, but does it have a bigger learning curve? Is it worth it?

• Greetings to all Antergos users! Recently i started looking to true rolling release distributions, after using Debian stable and Ubuntu releases. I’m thinking of switching to Arch and been looking to several distros - pure Arch, Antergos and Manjaro to name a few. When i ran the live USB of Antergos, i was amazed by the speed and whole look of both the distribution and Gnome 3. My question, is Antergos (and Arch) more difficult than Debian, i know it is different, but does it have a bigger learning curve? Is it worth it?

• Hi there. I. too, come from debian based distros. In fact I am still using Ubuntu 14.04 on a dual boot system. Antergos is nothing more than a pre configured Arch Linux. It saves you time and fuss from spending all that time to set Arch from scrap, providing an installer that is pretty much the same as…Ubuntu! Plus the PacmanXG, a very neat and useful tool if you dont have it with the terminal that much. What I do miss is the “software center”, as there are so many tons of apps out there which you dont know what they are and what they do and you have to do the search by yourself. It sure IS different, it sure has ITS OWN ways. But for a GNU/Linux (with some experience) user its is a matter of time to spot the differences and sort them out…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• *Is it worth? Well…to me it was the fact that it was a rolling realease that mattered and nothing else. I wanted a distro free of the inconvenience of the regular upgrades of a non rolling release…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I was using Manjaro and Ubuntu as dual boot for long time. Recently removed both and installed Antergos. Arch’s documentation is really is really awesome.

I am learning in a need to know basis. I didnt know about PacmanXG but I was familiar with Pamac from Manjaro so I installed it instead.

• Thank you all for your answers! Sorry for the late response but i was away on vacation and didn’t have time to really sit and setup my machines. Yesterday i Desktop-hopped between Gnome-Cinnamon-Openbox and was amazed by the speed and polish of Antergos. I now know which distro i am going to keep using!

• Nice to read
    Which DE did you pick for yourself?

• triple boot them all

• True life has caught up with me, hadn’t had time to install Antergos on all my machines, and I have stayed on my second laptop (which later will double as a media center PC) with Cinnamon. But for my primary machine I have decided to install GNOME Shell.

Posts 9Views 1948