• Automount RAID with VeraCrypt

Goal: to create RAID1 and encrypt it using VeraCrypt (so if one drive fails, I can connect it to any OS with VC installed and access my data). Then make sure that VC volume (which is on RAID1) gets decrypted/automounted during startup of antergos. So I guess steps are the following:

1. Create RAID1 volume (/dev/md0).
    2. Encrypt RAID1 volume.
    3. Automount /dev/md0 which is encrypted using VeraCrypt at /mnt/raid1 (or whatever name).
    4. Decrypt and automount /mnt/raid1 at /mnt/decrypted_volume (or whatever name).

I created RAID1 from sda/sdb using mdadm and enabled automount in fstab:

UUID=xxx /mnt/raid1 ext4 defaults 0 0

Works well. However, now I need to encrypt whole RAID volume using VeraCrypt. I can see/select /dev/md0 in VeraCrypt and encrypt it. However, once I do so and reboot, system fails to start and I’m dropped into maintenance mode. The only way to boot system again - remove that line from fstab.

Unfortunately, even if system starts, I can’t mount encrypted RAID. Doing mount /dev/md0 /mnt/raid1 returns errors wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock

I guess it happens because VeraCrypt changes whole filesystem at /dev/md0 from ext4 to its own encrypted volume, while fstab and mdadm.com are still set to use ext4. What can I do now to achieve my goal?

If some of my initial steps are wrong, please also let me know.

• I somehow got VC to work without mounting RAID at all, and would love to hear experts’ opinions. This is what I did after RAID volume was created and encrypted.

1. Created /mnt/veracrypt-raid1 directory
    2. Created key file with VC password (which I used to encrypt whole RAID1 volume) at /etc/veracrypt.key
    3. Added this line to /etc/crypttab
    veracrypt-raid1 /dev/md0 /etc/veracrypt.key tcrypt-veracrypt

1. Added this line to /etc/fstab
    /dev/mapper/veracrypt-raid1 /mnt/veracrypt-raid1 ext4 defaults 0 0

Rebooted system several times to ensure everything works. blkid displays /dev/mapper/veracrypt-raid1: UUID=“xxx” TYPE=“ext4” now and I can also enter /mnt/veracrypt-raid1

Then I entered Dolphin and added /mnt/veracrypt-raid1 as a new Place called Data. With this in mind, I hope that every time I add some file to Data, it will be automatically encrypted and mirrored.

Since this is my very first Linux experience, I would appreciate your comments and fixes (if any).

• you are inside deep-space with all this encryption and Raid and LVM, as most Desktop users do not mind about this things so much 😉

But you are diving very nice so far, may some users using this can give some hints.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

raid5 veracrypt3 automount2 Posts 3Views 137
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.