• Changes in implimentation from vanilla GNOME

Is there a comprehensive list of changes in the Antergosi GNOME implementation from vanilla GNOME (the implementation Fedora uses). I’m only talking about changes to GNOME, not the underlying distro.

I’ve noticed only the most obvious ones:
    -use of lightdm and light-locker instead of GDM
    -use of Numix theme and icons instead of Adwaita theme and icons
    -enabling of window minimize and maximize buttons
    -enabling of Dash-to-Dock extension

Any others??

• a very minimal set of installed packages:
    https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-packages/blob/master/antergos/antergos-gnome-meta/PKGBUILD

But in my opinion it is not possible to compare it to Fedora… you can compare with vanilla arch gnome ;)

https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/gnome/

• Thanks! I am more talking about changes to default settings or use of extensions. The most vanilla of the vanilla GNOME implementations is the one in Fedora (or RHEL or CentOS) because Red Hat works very closely with the GNOME Project. I would imagine the vanilla GNOME in Arch would have the same defaults.

The people at the GNOME Project think very carefully about how the workflow on this desktop environment should operate based on these guidelines https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/ . None of the major distros (Fedora, openSUSE, Debian, Arch) would even think about messing with these. An exception is Ubuntu, but they are trying to ease the transition from Unity for their users. The important part is that they have a lot of people thinking carefully about any changes, they ask their users, and they have principles of their own.

If you’re using a dock in GNOME, you don’t understand what they are trying to do. Maximize or minimize buttons are unnecessary in this environment. You are supposed to double-click on the top bar to maximize, and are supposed to drag windows you don’t want to look at to another workspace. Too many people probably think “this is different from Windows XP”, freak out and add those buttons back in without even trying it for more than two seconds. GNOME didn’t forget to put those buttons, they carefully made a decision to remove them. If you really can’t live without them, they are easy enough to put back in.

The people at the Antergos Project came in with their hatchet and make changes to the implementation because why? Unclear. The most egregious of which is the use of lightdm. You are actually losing functionality. I don’t exactly know what was changed in their implementation. I listed what I can notice, but I am wondering what else was changed so I can revert all settings back to true defaults without going line-by-line through the settings.

• So this will be a general discussion about what you do not like on Antergos implementation of GNOME?
    I was using GNOME since it exist, and i was one of the little group totally agree with the changes they come up on GNOME 3.

As in Freedom, the developers of Antergos are following their own rule.

(and who the hell will read thouse endless posts exept me?)

• @joekamprad I don’t really want this to be a discussion about what I don’t like about the Antergos implementation of GNOME. They are free to do whatever they want. It is their distro, although I suspect the changes are more knee-jerk than carefully thought out.

I have a questions and there is one answer. Presumably during installation vanilla GNOME packages are being pulled in, and then Antergos scripts are making changes to the config files and some small package changes are being made. What are those changes? I don’t really care why.

Seems more likely that the answer will be found in ‘Applications & desktop environments’ >> ‘GNOME’

• I would take a look the the sources:
    https://github.com/Antergos

You will find this changes/configs inside some packages and other repositories under Antergos.

Antergos-Desktop-Settings for
    example.

• @joekamprad Thanks. However, I want to dig around in source code even less than I want to go line by line through the settings. Would you mind moving this back to that GNOME section? Maybe someone knows the answer, although I am being to believe that you may be the only active person on this forum…

• @zarenzeit said in Changes in implimentation from vanilla GNOME:

although I am being to believe that you may be the only active person on this forum

No, but the most active persons around here don’t use gnome. :)

Would you mind moving this back to that GNOME section

sure i will drive you back there ;)

@fernandomaroto i do not know if i am using GNOME but i run it in a way… still… but it is gone useless…
    i3 alone can provide all i need… (still on i3-gnome)

GNOME was the reason i come to Antergos, as it was my Desktop of chioce for many years, and i was not very happy with all that unneeded stuff i need to uninstall after a pure ArchLinuxWay install with gnome and gnome-extra group from Archrepos… (what is the so called full featured original GNOME Desktop withoput any preconfigurations…)

• Antergos is the only Distribution provides a very slick and nicely designed gnome desktop on top of a stable and slick system.

And Mr. @zarenzeit i give you right on some points of yourphilosophical announcement:

• the buttons for minimize and maximize are useless, and also way bad on ergonomics… click and point at all should be not used that much… But in my opinion moving Windows at all should’nd be used anymore!
      As long as they using moving windows they do not do the full step in what they want to offer.

I was using i3-gnome here to get tiling + the tools GNOME offers like keyring, configurations, access to bluetooth… but with the time i do not use this tools anymore… where we come to another phlopoint of me:

I do not think that DE’s at all will be that big thing in the future anymore, users need to get access to web-services and apps they need for special tasks, and the desktop it self provides only the space where it can be started. DE’s will be something like infowallpaper in the future…

The people at the Antergos Project came in with their hatchet and make changes to the implementation because why? Unclear. The most egregious of which is the use of lightdm. You are actually losing functionality. I don’t exactly know what was changed in their implementation. I listed what I can notice, but I am wondering what else was changed so I can revert all settings back to true defaults without going line-by-line through the settings.

I would say it would much easier for you to install Antergos Base system and do a
    sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
    sudo systemctl enable gdm
    and remove settings implemented from skel:

/qt5ct
    /.config
    /.e
    /.elementary
    /.local
    /.themes
    /.bash_logout
    /.bash_profile
    /.bashrc
    /.bashrc.aliases
    /.dmrc
    /.gtkrc-2.0
    /.notify-osd
    /.xscreensaver

and finally reboot into vanilla GNOME ;)

gnome322 changes4 vanilla1 implimentation1 Posts 10Views 616
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.