• Xorg fails installling minimal Live ISO (Maybe this is normal ?)

I am trying to install the minimal live iso on a supermicro 5015M-MR server and the live install fails with an Xorg error.

The error is "Failed to open protocol names file lib/xorg/protocol.txt. Does the minimal install have no support for X ?

Where do I go from here ?

It is an old 1RU system and the onboard video is an ATI Rage XL

The ISO build date is 25 May 18

Another question will this linux run happily on a Pentium 4 with 2Gb ram and 160Gb HD ? I wasplanning on using it as a webserver running a simple Golang server

I tried to install Mangaro Linux and it was hopeless on this HW, so I tried Antergos and it is going much better.

• @billc3012 said in Xorg fails installling minimal Live ISO (Maybe this is normal ?):

I am trying to install the minimal live iso on a supermicro 5015M-MR server and the live install fails with an Xorg error.

During installation when you get to the step where you select your desktop, what did you choose?

If you chose “base” then I’m almost positive that Xorg isn’t installed.

I could check on my minimal live install to make sure, but it will have to be tomorrow.

Pudge

• @billc3012
    oops I just reread your post and the first time I didn’t pick up on the following:

“The live install fails with an Xorg error.”
    Did the install itself fail, or did it fail after install and you tried to start x?

Sorry for the confusion.

Pudge

• @pudge I boot from the live DVD in a USB DVD.

I get an initial screen and boot Antergos either the default or non-graphic boot

The system starts and givers me several virtual screens and I can switch screens and login as root.

X is still failing with the same message.

How do I do a install to HD from here ?

• @pudge I dont try to start X; the live CD startup does it and fails with both the default boot and the non-graphical boot.

The screen text is broken if I select 1280x1024, but on default it seems to automatically switch to 1280x1024 and is clear. For your info only; I am happy with this.

• @billc3012 said in Xorg fails installling minimal Live ISO (Maybe this is normal ?):

ATI Rage XL

this is a way very old one…
    Is it may one like this?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mach64

Could be not supported by current kernel per default…

• @joekamprad As I want to use this as a server and character mode is good enough for me, all I want is basic VGA mode which the card supports.

2008 intel Pentium 4D 1RU server. Some ATI cards were troublesome even with windows

As the live DVD boots to terminal mode, how do I install Antergos using the commandline rather than the GUI frontend which is not available. Can anyone point me to documentation on how to do this ?

• There is no cli installer anymore, long time ago there was one included…
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4868/install-via-cli-tty/3

• but may you can get into Live Environment by passing some hacks to the kernelline at bootup…

• If minimal install is enough, then it just might work to install the Antergos Base install to another machine (maybe VM) and simply copy all installed files to the target system.

But you need to be able to boot to the target in order to copy the files, chroot, and make the target bootable.

• @joekamprad Thanks for all your help. I checked the above post (topic 4868) and it seems I should try archLinux next. However I was using Antergos as an easier way of getting an Arch system up and running fast.

It seems I should scrap the old server and get a cheap new box. Likely it will use less power and for a 24/7 home webserver that saves money. Also the fans from the 1RU box are powerful and noisy. The cpu reads only 27C ; at 12000 rpm the fans are doing their job. So new box, less power and less noise. See how Antergos goes on a new box.

@joekamprad
    It seems I should scrap the old server and get a cheap new box. So new box, less power and less noise.

First, I hope I am not stepping on any toes by suggesting an OS other than
    Antergos.☹

Since you are talking about new hardware, If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion. The most power efficient and inexpensive system I have found for a server is a an Odroid SBC (Single Board Computer) which has an arm chip. So the drawback is you have to use Arch Linux Arm, which is not as hard to install as Arch Linux believe it or not.

I have an Odroid XU4 which is based on a Samsung ARM arm v7 chip.
    On this server I have ssh for Linux, samba for windows, minidlna for DLNA devices, and a Plex server. All working great.

Specs here

Here is a picture of my system with an external WD red label 2 TG NAS hard drive. Note that the Kill-A-Watt in my hand reads 04 which is watts drawn at the power outlet.

Server watts

here is a pic with the external Hard Drive unit plugged into the Kill-A-Watt. The reading 06 watts. The media storage uses more power than the computer! Of course if you need less storage, maybe 512 GB, a SSD would draw less power. Anyway 10 Watts for the entire unit.

Hard Drive Watts

Instructions for installing Arch Linux Arm

Just offering as a suggestion that you may want to look into. I spent a lot of time researching what to use and came up with this. Some are doing this with a raspberry pi, but I recommend using the Oroid XU4Q as it is the most powerfull with 8 cores, 2 USB 3 ports, 1 Gb Lan port, and 2 GB of ram.

Pudge

• @pudge Thanks Pudge

I like the idea and your info, especially the Samsung CPU; for me anything in the ballpark is better than Intel.

Down the track I will try it (hopefully).

Right now I need a system up and running yesterday, so it could be Officeworks later today for a cheap lowend preferably non-Intel box.

Thanks again for everyone for their suggestions. All were helpful.

To paraphrase the Bible, from the counsel of many comes success.

I like the idea and your info, especially the Samsung CPU; for me anything in the ballpark is better than Intel.

Down the track I will try it (hopefully).

I forgot that there is one little problem installing Arch Linux arm on the Odroid XU4, but it easy to remedy. Go to the following link and look for the post from user supro47 for the fix.

Pudge

antergos19 xorg fail1 supermicro 50151 live iso instal1 Posts 14Views 400
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.