• Script for handling laptop-specific keys in Openbox

Hi! Recently I’ve fallen in love with Openbox, and spent a lot of time on tuning and tweaking. The only thing I couldn’t achieve was binding the keys and events typical to laptops/netbooks to commands and notifications. I tried executing commands and sending notifications with rc.xml key bindings and Tint2 settings, but I kept dreaming of a system I got used to on GNOME, which I use on my main machine.

Finally I wrote a Python script which gives quite similar user experience:

0_1528762011767_preview1.png

If Openbox lovers are still here, I’d like to ask for help at testing, before pushing it to AUR. Although it works well on my netbook, I might have e.g. forgotten of some dependencies or made other mistakes. Could anybody help?

You’ll find more info and the script itself on my GitHub.

Take a look at my portfolio

• I bet, editing posts still doesn’t work? Just wanted to tell you that the script is already available as the obhud AUR package.

• @piotr Because i am not so happy with the Openbox in Antergos i am playing and testing Openbox in Archlabs. Learned a lot of Openbox and DE’s in general while playing with it. Using Gnome most of the time for now.

But soon vacation starts and then i will put some time again in Openbox again because i like it more. Then i will check then your script.

p.s.: No, editing a post stopt working some months ago.

• @bartatantergos said in Script for handling laptop-specific keys in Openbox:

Because i am not so happy with the Openbox in Antergos i am playing and testing Openbox in Archlabs. Learned a lot of Openbox and DE’s in general while playing with it. Using Gnome most of the time for now.

Well, I built my netbook OS on vanilla Arch and bare-bones Openbox, but later I took a look at Antergos Openbox and liked most of stuff it used. Most of packages were the same as I had chosen myself. I even stole the openbox-menu settings and I’m happy with my dynamic menus. I’d only replace kalu, which is not to my taste, with either pamac, or the script I mentioned here. And of course I’d add obhud. At the moment my main machine, which runs GNOME, and my netbook look and behave like twin brothers. 🙂

• I thought it would be good to add some configuration to the script. Check details on GitHub.

• @piotr said in Script for handling laptop-specific keys in Openbox:

The only thing I couldn’t achieve was binding the keys and events typical to laptops/netbooks to commands and notifications.

obkey is a GUI interface for adding keybindings…

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in Script for handling laptop-specific keys in Openbox:

obkey is a GUI interface for adding keybindings

The problem was not the tool, either graphical or not, but the lack of commands to produce a good looking output. Please have a glance at the description.

• @piotr said in Script for handling laptop-specific keys in Openbox:

@fernandomaroto said in Script for handling laptop-specific keys in Openbox:

obkey is a GUI interface for adding keybindings

The problem was not the tool, either graphical or not, but the lack of commands to produce a good looking output. Please have a glance at the description.

Sorry, i was trying to read all (unread) posts in a hurry (there was 40 or more here)
    I thought you were looking for a package, not that you made your own to fit you needs.

Finally I wrote a Python script which gives quite similar user experience

Congratulations for your work.

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in Script for handling laptop-specific keys in Openbox:

Congratulations for your work.

Thank you! 🙂 Hope someone else will find it useful, too.

• obhud --touchpad {on} | {off} | {toggle} command added in the 0.1.2-1 version.

openbox39 keys10 handling1 laptop-specific1 Posts 10Views 149
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.