• Admin programs disabled (e.g. driver manager, update sources)

Hi,

New Antergos/Cinnamon user, I’m struggling to find how to unlock the Administration section on the main Cinnamon menu. In the same vein, I cannot run the programs listed under Administration in System Parameters. Any hint welcomed !

Thanks, Paul

• @pchap74
    Not sure what you mean exactly. I’m now guessing that you need root permissions for executing some programs. That is similar to being in the Administrator’s group in Windows.

You may start programs with root permissions e.g. from a terminal program. Within terminal, you can run programs that require root permissions with program sudo, for example:

sudo blkid

will show you info about your disks and their partitions.

And many programs just ask for the root password if they require it.

But if your question is more Cinnamon related, then this may not be exactly what you asked… If so, please give some examples of what you are trying to do.

And welcome to the Antergos world! :)

• Thanks for the fast reply…

Yes, this is Cinnamon related; the programs I’m referring to are accessible through the control panel. Clicking on their icons wouldn’t launch them. I’m not on this very computer at the moment but will make a couple of screen shots when I return from a trip week after next.

Paul

• 0_1527925482210_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-06-02 09-02-25.png

Zhis is a BUG as far as i can see ;)

driver-manager and mintsources, are from Mint Linux and not aviable at archbased… lightdm-settings is aviable, but not working for Antergos greeter…

May this is fixable… but will need to go to @developers
    I will report this at Github for you.

• I don’t know if it’s still accurate, but didn’t the Antergos devs drop Cinnamon as their default DE, because of this kind of problem that is popping up after major Linux mint updates?

• Antergos description in Distrowatch.com:

“Antergos is a modern, elegant and powerful operating system based on Arch Linux. It started life under the name of Cinnarch, combining the Cinnamon desktop with the Arch Linux distribution, but the project has moved on from its original goals and now offers a choice of several desktops, including GNOME 3 (default), Cinnamon, Razor-qt and Xfce. Antergos also provides its own graphical installation program.”

So the predecessor of Antergos used to be a Cinnamon advocate (at least so could be concluded from Distrowatch).

I suppose that Distrowatch description should be updated to be on par with the current state of Antergos. At least two points should be changed:

• The description should me more attractive and compelling
    • Reference to Razor-qt let people think it’s an ancient distro…

But yes, this is off-topic, should start a new thread or move this post to another thread.

programs14 disabled5 admin3 e.g1 Posts 7Views 438
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.