• Cnchi - Bug hunting (and enhancements, too)

Hi all,

Luckily I will have free time in the next days to work on the Installer, so I want to spend some time fixing some of the Cnchi’s issues, but I want your opinion on this.

Please, spend some time checking Cnchi’s issues and tell me what you’d want to be fixed/enhanced in our installer. I’d be more than happy to start working on it:

https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues

We have nearly reached 200 issues, so it’s time to narrow it down…

Thanks!

• Thanks for this great opportunity! :)
    I looked at the issue list, but found that I didn’t have preferences to order the list, and didn’t really know which ones are still relevant there.

And cnchi is already a great tool, and very easy to use, despite the recent issues that fortunately have been fixed, thanks for all of that too!

But as you mentioned possible enhancements, there are a couple of things that I’d like to discuss. The following ideas (not all new) came into mind:

• Save downloaded packages to the installer USB stick for later use (like installing into many machines in a row, download packages only once!).
    • Partitioning: I’d like to see as a default choice that everything is put into only one partition (/), i.e. no separate /boot, /home, or /swap (instead, swapfile if swap is needed). That would be easier for many, including newcomers.
      An expert choice would be managing partitions manually (like it is already possible).
    • Initial location selection based on IP address? Now we have to search for a list of countries to determine location in cnchi.
    • Offer some choices for graphics drivers, like nvidia vs. nouveau, discrete vs. integrated, etc. ? Not sure though what would be the best way to organize this… Maybe the idea could be to show easy alternatives vs. expert alternatives?

The items above are not in any preference order. If the amount of work for an item is too great for the benefit, then naturally it can just be put to the waiting list or the garbage can. But if any of these is easy to implement, I’d be happy to see it in cnchi. :)

• The first thing comes to my mind is the partition part
      It would be amazing to make use of gparted inside… and the cnchi window needs to be sizable, as on advanced partition with some more harddrives aviable it is very tricky to get partition done. all together the cnchi window could be bigger or sizable!

• I am on your side with do not put to much options to the installer, but an option to get basic energy savings for mobile devices aka Notebooks would be a very good one.

• i do agree with @manuel that the automatic partion could be more minimal.
      swap should be created only on installs with less then 8GB of RAM and a /boot partition is confusing and is in most cases more complicate to handle for rescue (special if user is a newbie … chrooting )
      And i do also agree that the language settings should be more clear and may all together at one slide ?

More will come up when went to the next 125 cnchi issues ;)

Would it be a good one to mark the issues at github?
    Like if issues are already solved, irrelevant e.t.c., could be done in the comments…

• Hi,

Thanks both!

@manuel said in Cnchi - Bug hunting (and enhancements, too):

Save downloaded packages to the installer USB stick for later use (like installing into many machines in a row, download packages only once!).

Spoiler alert! This is already coded in version 0.16! 😀
    You can use an usb stick, an usb harddisk or an extra internal harddisk for this… but you can’t use the same disk where you’re installing.

Partitioning: I’d like to see as a default choice that everything is put into only one partition (/), i.e. no separate /boot, /home, or /swap (instead, swapfile if swap is needed). That would be easier for many, including newcomers.

Choosing to add a /boot partition was necessary when we started coding Cnchi because grub was unable to boot without it in a disk with lvm volumes. Now this is not a restriction anymore, so we could remove it. Could you please add an issue in github with this one?

I’d like having /home as an option in the automatic installation, so if you don’t give me more reasons I’d say no to this one, sorry.

Swap. Last time I checked btrfs couldn’t do swapfiles, so we have to take this into account. I’ve heard that Ubuntu defaults to a swap file (anybody can confirm this?). We could discuss this a little more… I’m not against it. Again… please fill up an issue.

Initial location selection based on IP address? Now we have to search for a list of countries to determine location in cnchi.

This is already done for the timezone… wouldn’t be difficult to do for the location too if we had a database with this info… an issue? pretty please?

Offer some choices for graphics drivers, like nvidia vs. nouveau, discrete vs. integrated, etc. ?

We implemented this, but Optimus nvidia cards where detected as “current” nvidia and it suggested installing the nvidia driver with its default setup… which caused a lot of problems. I decided to hide this option. We could go back to this code and review it. Again, sorry to ask you again, but please add an issue to github.

@joekamprad

It would be amazing to make use of gparted inside…

I don’t see an easy way to do this… maybe we simply could add an option that opens gparted?

all together the cnchi window could be bigger or sizable!
    By design it’s not resizable nor bigger. We could talk about making it bigger but not about making it resizable, sorry.

I am on your side with do not put to much options to the installer, but an option to get basic energy savings for mobile devices aka Notebooks would be a very good one.

I agree. Could you please add the issue in github? If not I’m sure I’ll forgot about this one.

Thank you all!!!

• I do also think about why it is nessesarry to do this rankmirror stuff inside installation process?
    It takes the most of the time from installation itself (it feels like so to me)

If we already track location of from where install is proceeded, can we not just create different mirrorlists somehow onto a server by a script and injecting them to installer ? so if i install from Germany i will get a mirrorlist suitable for my location?

This would make installation much faster (of cause only if it will do a good job ;) )

• Just noticed the there is a problem installing cnchi:

error: cnchi: signature from "Antergos Build Server (Automated Package Build System) <[email protected]>" is invalid

So /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cnchi-0.14.426-3-any.pkg.tar.xz has a PGP signature problem.

• https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/894

(Others will come a bit later…)

• @karasu said in Cnchi - Bug hunting (and enhancements, too):

Spoiler alert! This is already coded in version 0.16!
    You can use an usb stick, an usb harddisk or an extra internal harddisk for this… but you can’t use the same disk where you’re installing.

Nice! When can we start using it? ;)

• Here’s the “location based on IP” item:
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/895

• And here’s the graphics card item:
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/896

• @joekamprad said in Cnchi - Bug hunting (and enhancements, too):

If we already track location of from where install is proceeded, can we not just create different mirrorlists somehow onto a server by a script and injecting them to installer ?

I agree that ranking is taking too much time during install.
    Creating mirrorlists for all countries could solve the problem, at least for most countries. But maybe countries with a large area need a less static ranking (east coast has different best mirrors than west coast)?

Another ranking idea could be: start the ranking process right after starting the installer, on a separate process or thread. Then it would probably be ready when the actual installation starts.

• @karasu and others

Just occurred to me that could cnchi be used also to fix certain (dual boot) install problems?

Like in a dual boot case, where Windows is installed in UEFI but Antergos is installed in BIOS mode, and Antergos grub is unable to boot Windows.

So, the installer could be executed again, but it installs nothing but UEFI stuff for Antergos, allows mounting ESP to /boot/efi, etc.

• Installing as Bios on EFI shouldn’t be possible at all😅😉😋

• But as people still are clever enough to achieve that, it would help to have it fixed easily. :)

• @karasu nvme drives still have some issue, as i can see related errors from users installing on such?

• @karasu
    Made yet another issue based on the above discussion of
    cnchi helping fix installations or simply preventing problematic installation altogether.

https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/897

• @karasu said in Cnchi - Bug hunting (and enhancements, too):

I’ve heard that Ubuntu defaults to a swap file (anybody can confirm this?).

I can, having recently given up on them. It has been the default for quite a while now.

• @manuel said in Cnchi - Bug hunting (and enhancements, too):

So /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cnchi-0.14.426-3-any.pkg.tar.xz has a PGP signature problem.

Probably a false alarm, since I got pacman now working properly.
    Sorry about that.

cnchi155 enhancements1 hunting1 Posts 42Views 1784
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.